MTV VMAs 2011: Kanye West And Jay-Z Perform “Otis” (PHOTOS)
On Jay-Z and Kanye’s hit album Watch The Throne, Jay-Z raps about his unborn child on the Nina Simone-sampling track “New Day.”
Being one of the most honest and emotional songs on the album, “New Day” is a purely reflective track, where both Jay and ‘Ye foresee their unborn children’s future being vastly different from their own childhood.
When Jay-Z and Beyonce’s child is born, he or she will have this song to appreciate.
GlobalGrind decided to revisit some of Jay’s most honest lyrics on “New Day.”
Check out “New Day” decoded on the next few pages, but if you’re unfamiliar with “New Day,” take a listen below!
- Jay-Z: “Sorry junior, I already ruined ya
- ‘Cause you ain’t even alive, paparazzi pursuin’ ya
- Sins of a father make yo’ life ten times harder
- I just wanna take ya to a barber”
- DECODED: Jay-Z refers to his unborn child as junior, so maybe he’s trying to tell us that he and Beyonce already know the sex of their child to be. Jay also mentions how paparazzi will be chasing to get a glimpse of a baby that hasn’t even been born yet.
- Jay often refers to his sins, and how “if the prophecy is correct then the child should have to pay for the sins of a father,” which is something he doesn’t want for his child. He wants his child to have a “normal” life, where he/she isn’t always under a microscope.
- Jay-Z: “Took me 26 years to find my path
- My only job is cuttin’ the time in half”
- DECODED: Jay-Z refers to the time it took for him to become as successful as he is today. As he raps about how his life as he knows it came to fruition, he makes it known that his only duty is to make his child’s life easier in more ways than one.
- Jay-Z: “And if the day comes I only see him on the weekend
- I just pray we was in love on the night that we conceived him
- Promise to never leave him even if his mama tweakin’
- Cause my dad left me and I promise never repeat him
- Never repeat him, never repeat him”
- DECODED: Jay-Z ponders the possibility that his relationship doesn’t work out with the mother of his child. He hopes that his unborn child was created in a time of love, despite the fact that the love has left the relationship. Jay also vows never to abandon his child, even if the mother of his child is hard to deal with. Not wanting his child to feel his pain growing up, Jay promises to never repeat the deeds of his father.
Jay-Z: “Look a man dead in his eyes
- So he know you talk truth when you speak it, give your word, keep it”
- DECODED: This line is simple. Jay-Z gives advice about basic morals, like looking people in their eyes and being loyal to those you call your friend.