The mayhem in Anaheim continued Tuesday night, as protesters broke windows of at least half a dozen storefronts and five people were arrested in the second major clash between police and demonstrators since an officer shot an unarmed man dead.
According to Reuters, Tom Tait, mayor of the southern California city, called on Monday for a state and federal review of the shooting of the man.
Over 600 demonstrators gathered at City Hall on Tuesday, demanding justice in the shooting death of Manuel Diaz.
Some threw patio chairs through the windows of a Starbucks, but no one in the restaurant was injured, said Anaheim police spokesman Sergeant Bob Dunn.
As Reported By Reuters:
Five people were arrested in the protest and ensuing melee, and one person was injured and taken to hospital, Dunn said. Dozens of officers wielding night sticks faced off against the demonstrators, who at one point threw water bottles and rocks toward the line.
Since then the streets of Anaheim has been filled with tension. Two officers had tried to approach three men in an alley, who fled, Dunn said earlier this week. The officers followed on foot and one caught up to one suspect, police said.
The officer shot the man, who police said they later identified as Manuel Diaz, a known gang member. Diaz was not found to have been carrying a gun, police said.
On Saturday, police fired pepper pellets at angry residents near the scene of the shooting. Diaz was the fifth person to die in an officer-involved shooting in Anaheim this year.