Kevin Ware made headlines tonight and sent Twitter off it’s rocker when he suffered one of the most gruesome injuries in sports TV history.
The crowd was shaken and fellow teammates fell to their knees, some even reportedly vomiting as the baller’s leg was completely broken and his bone was sticking right out. This injury is definitely one for the books and we thought we’d recap the top ten most jaw dropping, cringe worthy sports injuries of all time.
From hockey to football… sh*t happens!
Check out our list below!
1. Kevin Ware may have broken bones in one leg tonight but in 2009, Derrick Roland of the Texas A&M’s broke both bones in both of his legs. Sadly the injury marked then end of Roland’s b-ball career.
2. Although farely recent, San Francisco Giants catcher Buster Posey’s injury surely makes the list. He suffered a broken bone in his left ankle after a collision at the plate. Ouch!
3. In this 2011 incident, BMX rider Terrell remained astonishingly calm after his leg snapped like a Kit-Kat.
4. Former German soccer player suffered a horrible injury when he got caught by the spikes of a guy named Norbert Siegmann in 1981. The wound ended up requiring 23 stiches. Ugh!
5. American long jumper Llewellyn Starks was just 24 years old when he suffered a compound fracture during a jump at the 1992 New York Games. Just looking at this photo makes our stomach turn!
6. MMA has it’s fair share of cringe worthy injuries. At the 1:16 mark Cory Hill sustained an injury that threatened his career.
7. French striker Djibril Cissé broke his leg after being knocked over by China’s Zheng Zhi in 2009. This isn’t even the most severe injury he’s had; Cisse also broke his tibia and fibula two years earlier.
8.This one hails from a South African Futbol League game between the Mpumalanga Black Aces FC and the Carara Kicks. Oupa Ngulube of the Kicks races Felix Muamba-Musasa ogets his leg broken to bits by Muamba Musas’s shoe. Ahhhh!
9. If you’re a fan of football you should know this one! This unlucky tackle by the legendary Lawrence Taylor in 1985 resulted in a compound fracture for Super Bowl-winning Redskins QB Joe Theismann, ending his career.
10. On March 22, 1989, an NHL hockey game between the Buffalo Sabres and St. Louis Blues suddenly turned into a scene of a horrow movie when Sabres goalie Clint Malarchuk had his jugular vein slashed by a skate. Amazingly, though he almost died that night on the ice, the guy would end up missing just five games.