Authorities are still investigating the tragic mass shooting that took place at the U.S. Navy Yard in Washington D.C., however, they have identified the suspected gunman who shot and killed 12 people on Monday morning.
Aaron Alexis, 34, was identified by his fingerprints and an I.D. badge on his person by police this afternoon after he was shot dead by authorities.
He was initially reported as one of three potential gunmen, although the other two suspects have been cleared.
This is what we know about the Texas native so far:
- Alexis is from Ft. Worth, Texas.
- He is 34-years-old.
- In 2010, he was charged with discharging a firearm. He was 31-years-old at the time. Here is the description of the incident from the police report:
On Saturday 09-04-10 at approximately 1849 hrs I, Officer M Medders 3835 working W237, was dispatched to an apt complex, Orion at Oak Hill Apts, at 2450 Oak Hill Rd in reference to a shots fired call. The details of the call stated “CP STS SHE HEARD A ‘POP’ & SAW SMOKE & DUST; NOW SEES THAT THERE IS A HOLE IN HER FLOOR & ANOTHER IN HER CEILING; BELIEVES SOMEONE JUST SHOT INTO HER APT; DID NOT SEE ANYTHING OR ANYONE; CP HAS MOVED AWAY FROM AREA WHERE HOLES ARE; CONTACT CP”. Upon arrival I met with the witness who was inside her apt and visibly shaken up.
- In 2004 he was arrested for shooting the tires out of another man’s vehicle in what he described as an “anger-fueled” blackout.
- He does have a military background – Alexis was a full-time Navy reservist from May 2007 until he was discharged in January 2011.
- He had been hired as a civilian contractor.
- Friends say he was a practicing Buddhist and non-violent.
Friend says Alexis learned Thai from friends at temple on Cherry Lane. Says violence is contrary to Buddhism. ‘I still don’t believe it.’
— Bill Miller (@Bill_MillerST) September 16, 2013
- His I.D. was found next to his body in Building 197, where most of the victims were wounded on the third and fourth floors.
- He is believed to have gotten into the Navy Yard by using someone else’s identification card.
- Initial reports about the gunman described him as a black male, six feet, about 170 pounds with a bald head.
- Authorities say Alexis used a semi-automatic 9 mm pistol and an AR-15 assault rifle.
- On Monday morning, he walked into Building 197 and shot a security guard in the head, killing him. He then walked through the building and targeted victims using the weapons listed above.
- Witnesses say Alexis opened fire from a fourth-floor overlook, aiming down on people in the cafeteria on the main floor.
- Alexis was shot by an FBI hostage response team.
- Here is the FBI notice:
As this is an active investigation, please check back for updates about the shooting and more details on Aaron Alexis.
If you have any information regarding the suspect, please call 1-800-CALL-FBI.