Politicians are looking for solutions to curb Chicago’s gun violence after last Friday’s mass shooting and news that this weekend saw four additional fatal shootings. Fifteen others were wounded.
Last week, Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn said he was open to sending National Guard troops or state police to assist Chicago police with curbing violence.
Speaking about this week’s mass shooting in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, Quinn says he’s open to talking with Mayor Emanuel or Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy about supplementing Chicago law enforcement with state police or the Illinois National Guard.
He said he’s had no specific conversations but noted state police are helping patrol in East St. Louis, another city that has its challenges with violent crime.
“I think anyone who saw what happened in Cornell Park the other night was horrified by the violence. I live on the West Side of Chicago. It is an area that has been inflicted with violence, and we’ve got to protect the people,” Quinn told reporters Saturday.
The victims of the weekend violence are as follows:
- Two-year-old Jamal Coleman, who was found shot on a sidewalk and later died at a hospital.
- 37-year-old Robert Hart, who was fatally shot in an alley.
- 21-year-old Brenden Temple, who killed after being shot once in the head.
- 18-year-old Jaleel Pearson, who was pronounced dead at Stroger hospital after being shot in the chest.
Our prayers and thoughts are with the families of the victims at this time.