Tragedy has struck the Philippines as a typhoon has hit the island, where the death toll is still rising.
According to reports, the death toll is at over 100 bodies found so far, but it can rise to over 1000 according to Gwendolyn Pang, secretary general of the Philippine Red Cross.
The Huffington Post reports that this typhoon was one of the strongest storms that the country has faced, which has taken down buildings as well as leveling seaside homes.
The National Risk Reduction and Management Council said more than 70,000 families were affected, and nearly 350,000 people were displaced, experts predicting it will take days to get the full scope of all the damage that occurred.
The site reports:
With communications and roads still cut off, Capt. John Andrews, deputy director general of the Civil Aviation Authority, said he had received “reliable information” by radio from his staff that more than 100 bodies were lying in the streets of the city of Tacloban on hardest-hit Leyte Island. It was one of six islands that Typhoon Haiyan slammed into Friday.
Regional military commander Lt. Gen. Roy Deveraturda said that the casualty figure “probably will increase,” after viewing aerial photographs of the widespread devastation caused by the typhoon, which was heading toward Vietnam after moving away from the Philippines.
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has said in a statement that America “stands ready to help” in the wake of the damage from the storm.
We pray for the victims of the typhoon in Manila, and we hope that we can help them to recover.
SOURCE: The Huffington Post | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty