It seems like every year I get the honor of letting the GlobalGrinders, aka The Hip-Pop Generation, know the things we are thankful for. My Editor In Chief wanted me to think of 99 things we’re thankful for, but instead, I quickly did my best impression of one of my favorite Vines.
Needless to say, we all came to the conclusion that we should think of 13 things to be thankful for, because it’s 2013. See what we did there? So, whether you’re reading this before your momma is done cooking the turkey, or while Uncle Junebug is sipping on some Yack with his young girlfriend sitting on his lap, we would just like to share with you a few of the things we are thankful for this year.
Some of them are funny, some are serious, but to us, they are all equally important. Once you’re done reading our list, let us know what you’re thankful for in the comment section below.
1. Kim Ye – For providing numerous stories and headlines throughout the year. Gems like actually naming their daughter North West, to Kanye bumping his head and Kim’s infamous back shot. But our absolute favorite? Ye’s “Don’t ever talk!” outburst.
Kanye, you might want to start taking your own advice and cut down on the interviews, homie.
2. We Thankful, or Nah? 2013 has brought us another new catchphrase and it’s “or nah.” Adding “or nah” at the end of a question is not only insanely hilarious, it’s good for your soul. Just ask Teyana Taylor and Rihanna.
3. The death of Vine. We thought Vine was dead, but it’s been sparking life into new celebs and old. It introduced us to Terrio, gave Young Dro another hit in “FDB,” and launched more funny videos than we can count.
4. We’re thankful for Karma – because it continues to do its job.
5. Trinidad Jame$. It should have been Kendrick Lamar’s “Control” verse that lit a spark in New York, but rather it was Jame$, who got New York’s feathers ruffled when he said Atlanta runs NY musically.
6. Cronuts – Not just any Cronuts, but the cronuts that Mashonda brought to the office for everyone to indulge and share.
7. New artists for stepping up and doing their damn thing! Ro James, Sebastian Mikeal, Elijah Blake, Emanny, Jade De La Fleur, Kevin Gates & more. So far, there have been a bunch of projects that landed on our radar.
8. Black Twitter for being super entertaining and extra awesome. And that’s aside from holding everyone accountable for their own fuckery. Black Twitter, this one is for you.
9. Hollywood for listening to our gripes. For years, we have been asking Hollywood to tell a more diverse story of the world we live in – not just romantic comedies about a group of whites with one racially ambiguous black friend. 12 Years a Slave, Fruitvale Station, The Butler, The Best Man Holiday, 42, Scandal, Sleepy Hollow and more, you delivered.
10. Lil Mama’s comeback. Black Twitter trashed Lil Mama when news broke that she would be playing Left Eye in a biopic about TLC’s life. However, by the time the TV movie aired, Black Twitter was singing her praises like Slim Thug sang “FDB” when he got the notice that the kid was not his son.
11. Memes. From Miguel leg-dropping the girl at the AMAs, to that time when Hova went swimming in the South of France, we love the memes! Just ask North West.
12. Our extended family. This year, we’ve been blessed to hear the stories of some amazing people. Jordan Davis’ father Ron Davis came into our office to share stories about his son. We needed a lot of Kleenex that day. We also got to see God in all his glory as Sybrina Fulton came into the office to share her grace with us. We love them and remain by their sides.
13. Lastly, we are thankful you. Without each and every one of you, we would not be here. So we thank you for allowing us to tell you the news, gossip and just share our opinions. Broski Love keeps us on our toes with all of his comments, and even the GlobalGrinders who just read and never leave a comment, we appreciate each and every one of you.
PHOTO CREDIT: WENN, Getty, Splash, INF, Instagram