Just when we thought it wasn’t possible for anyone to upstage Michelle Obama’s elegant looks, she trumps us all by upstaging herself.
Last night the White House was in celebration mode as the First Family opened the doors to welcome the French President for the state dinner, but all eyes were on Michelle, as she appeared on the grand staircase in a stunning Carolina Herrera gown.
Previously, Michelle has donned one-shouldered pieces from Peter Soronen and Doo-Ri Chung, and a strapless gown by Naeem Khan for the administration’s state dinners, but the blue and black gown is the first dress with sleeves Obama has worn covering up her toned arms.
The dress includes a black hand-sewn beaded embroidery applique scallop-edged top over a liberty blue silk faille corset, according to a statement from the designer. Michelle has been known to support young up-and-coming designers (Jason Wu anyone?) but decided to go with a more classic Carolina for the absolute win.
Take a look at that baby from the back:
Check out some additional images from the state dinner in the gallery below. We’ll just be here obsessing over Michelle in the meantime. Oh, and the president looked pretty dapper himself.
President Obama And First Lady Welcome French President (PHOTOS)
1. Michelle and Barack ObamaSource:Getty Images 1 of 8
2. Al Sharpton and Aisha McShawSource:Getty Images 2 of 8
3. Mary J Blige and Kendu IsaacsSource:Getty Images 3 of 8
4. Mindy KalingSource:Getty Images 4 of 8
5. Suki Waterhouse and Bradley CooperSource:Getty Images 5 of 8
6. Michelle and Barack ObamaSource:Getty Images 6 of 8
7. The back of Michelle Obama's stunning gown.Source:Getty Images 7 of 8
8. Michelle And Barack ObamaSource:Getty Images 8 of 8
PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES