Let’s just give Luptita Nyong’O all of the awards. All of them.
Yesterday, Lupita joined a legion of other beautiful black women to celebrate their accomplishments in the industry at the Essence Black Women in Hollywood Luncheon. The contrast of her white Giambattista Valli crop top and skirt combo against her smooth dark complexion was nothing short of stunning.
The 12 Years a Slave actress hasn’t always felt as beautiful as she looks in her skin, though. At the luncheon, she spoke to the Associated Press about her struggle to accept herself, saying:
I got teased and taunted about my skin. My one prayer to God was that I would wake up lighter skinned. The morning would come and I would be so excited about seeing my new skin that I would refuse to look down at myself until I was in front of the mirror because I wanted to see my face first. Every day I would feel the disappointment of being just as dark as the day before.
It was Sudanese supermodel Alex Wek whose strong presence in magazines and on the runway helped her to love the skin she’s in and appreciate an event such as this one.
My complexion had always been an obstacle to overcome. I couldn’t believe that people were embracing a woman who looked so much like me as beautiful. It was perplexing and I wanted to reject it because I had begun to enjoy the seduction of inadequacy. But a flower couldn’t help but bloom inside of me. I hope that my presence on your screen and my face in magazines may lead you, young girls, on a beautiful journey. That you will feel the validation of your external beauty, but also get to the deeper business of being beautiful inside.
During the week where the buzz and stress is high surrounding the Oscars this Sunday, the 30-year-old rightfully scored the Breakthrough Performance Award and was joined by many others who flocked to the white carpet in their award-worthy looks. Kerry Washington and many other Hollywood heavyhitters came together for an afternoon of camaraderie and celebration–and looked fabulous doing so.
With her due date nearing and skin glowing, Kerry draped her baby bump in a flowing Calvin Klein number.
The fellas were also present yesterday, and Common showed up and showed out in a dapper blue suit.
See more stunning looks from Naomie Harris, Tracee Ellis Ross and more in the gallery.
Stars Unite In Celebration and Style For Essence Black Women In Hollywood Luncheon (PHOTOS)
1. Actress Tasha Smith is a leading lady in redSource:WENN 1 of 15
2. Tracee Ellis Ross wears a three-piece set from HonorSource:WENN 2 of 15
3. Brandy opts for all red everything on the white carpetSource:WENN 3 of 15
4. Gayle King at the Essence Black Women in Hollywood LuncheonSource:WENN 4 of 15
5. Tamera Mowry is an orange dream in a Victoria Beckham dressSource:WENN 5 of 15
6. Alfrie Woodard on the white carpetSource:WENN 6 of 15
7. Spike and Tonya Lewis Lee pose for the papsSource:WENN 7 of 15
8. Garcelle Beauvais at the Essence Black Women in Hollywood LuncheonSource:WENN 8 of 15
9. Naomie Harris wears a white Wes Gordon numberSource:WENN 9 of 15
10. Ageless beauty Angela Basset on the white carpetSource:WENN 10 of 15
11. Tatyana Ali is bright and fresh in spring yellow and whiteSource:WENN 11 of 15
12. Holly Robinson Peete on the white carpetSource:WENN 12 of 15
13. Regina King wears a pop of pink lipstickSource:WENN 13 of 15
14. Laila Ali in Nanette LeporeSource:WENN 14 of 15
15. Chaka Khan on the white carpetSource:WENN 15 of 15
SOURCE: AP | PHOTO CREDIT: WENN