Your [insert emoji praying hands here] have been answered: Apple is finally working towards creating more ethnically diverse keyboard characters. Throw your emoji hands in the air! And, to be honest, it’s about damn time. There are over 800 emojis in the iOS 7 keyboard, including at least seven different aquatic animals, yet there isn’t a single brown emoji to be found.
Many people have expressed their frustration over the lack of diverse emoji characters–there were even multiple online petitions started to bring the issue to Apple’s attention–and CEO Tim Cook has been listening. After an MTV blogger reached out to him via email to ask what was up, Katie Cotton, Vice President of worldwide corporate communications, responded:
“Tim forwarded your email to me. We agree with you. Our emoji characters are based on the Unicode standard, which is necessary for them to be displayed properly across many platforms. There needs to be more diversity in the emoji character set, and we have been working closely with the Unicode Consortium in an effort to update the standard.”
[Insert smiley face and thumbs up emojis here], Katie.
There’s no word on when we can expect to see Apple roll out an updated selection of characters, but if they’re open to ideas, we’d like suggest a few of our own:
2. Middle-finger emoji: for when you do not have a f*ck to give.
3. Kanye-shrug emoji: for when you really just don’t care about what anyone thinks; but you kinda wanna be funny about it.
4. Bacon emoji: because, bacon. Seriously, how is there no bacon emoji?
5. Chief Keef’s stoned-face emoji: for when you hate being sober.
7. Twerking emoji: for when it’s time to go to twerk.
8. Cheese emoji: for when you’re feeling….cheesy.
9. Red Solo cup emoji: for when it’s turn-up time.
10: Beyoncé emoji: for when you’re feeling ***flawless.
SOURCE: MTV | PHOTO CREDIT: Giphy