Beyoncé might wake up with a ***flawless face, but do you want to know what I look like? Like a walking oil slick–with really bad bedhead.
Every morning, without fail, I stumble my way into the bathroom to brush my teeth, and I can almost see my own reflection in my shiny forehead looking back at me with, well, disgust. But I know I’m not the only glistening girl with this problem. Overactive oil glands are an epidemic, and they must. be. stopped. The only benefactor that comes with having such oily skin is that we’ll age more gracefully than our naturally matte mates. Ha! Take that, all you dry-skinned people out there. But with the temperatures rising, so, too, are the heat and humidity. And you want to know what’s not hot? This face. Seriously. It’s gross.
So to remedy it, here are a few tips, along with the best beauty products that’ve received rave reviews for oil control that you can find at a drugstore near you.
1. Exfoliate three times a week using St. Ives skin scrub to clean out your congested pores and buff out your face for skin that’s as smooth as a baby’s bottom.
2. Cleanse with a product that’s oil-free, like Neutrogena’s Oil-Free Acne Wash. This cult classic also has salicylic acid, which will help banish breakouts.
3. Tone with an astringent or toner that’s alcohol-free to help absorb any access oil left behind. Apply Olay’s oil-minimizing toner with a cotton ball for both acne and oil control.
4. Moisturize using Burt’s Bees Natural Acne Solutions Daily Moisturizing Lotion. Not only is it noncomedogenic (meaning it won’t clog your pores), but its base is made from witch hazel to help reduce redness, pore size AND inflammation.
5. Prime your skin before applying makeup. Try NYX’s Shine Killer to kill the shine, duh, and help your makeup stay matte all day.
6. Conceal with L’Oreal’s Super-Blendable Crayon Concealer. It’s creamy and smooth but won’t settle into your pores.
7. Foundation can be tricky for us greasy girls because there are so many options as far as texture goes. For a lightweight liquid, try Revlon’s ColorStay formula for combo/oily skin. It offers full-coverage without feeling too heavy on your skin. If you prefer powder, the beauty brand offers a Nearly Naked pressed compact that feels soft and silky.
8. Set it with a translucent powder, like e.l.f.’s High Definition powder, for a flawless finish that’ll keep your makeup matte longer.
9. Control any excess oil throughout the day by blotting with Shine Eraser sheets from e.l.f. You can just tuck ’em in your purse for later, and stock up: They only cost $1!
Ready to dim that shine of yours? Shop all of our picks down below.