What started as a common dental procedure ended up as a tragedy for a family in Maine.
18-year-old Benjamin LaMontague passed away this February after a wisdom tooth extraction. A medical examiner concludes that the teen was killed by a rare flesh-eating bacteria called necrotizing fasciitis.
According to Bangor Daily News the flesh-eating bacteria called necrotizing fasciitis eats away at muscles, fat and skin tissue and typically enters the body through a break in the skin, such as a cut or a scrape.
As the bacteria multiplies, it release toxins that kill tissue and cut off blood flow in the area, leading it to spread rapidly throughout the body.
Dr. John Molinari, infection control expert for the American Dental Association, told the outlet the bacteria is extremely rare.
Lynn, Benjamin’s mother, called for assistance at 1am when her son stopped breathing. The teen had reportedly suffered common swelling and pain following the procedure and by Friday, it had intensified. But by the early morning hours, the young boy had passed away.
The Long Island community, where Benjamin’s family lives, were left shocked by the unexpected death. Benjamin was a talented clarinet player, who had been accepted at Pennsylvania’s Sunderman Conservatory of Music.
We send our condolences to Benjamin’s family.
SOURCE: Bangor Daily News | VIDEO CREDIT: NDN