Viola Davis’ performance on the critically acclaimed ABC drama How To Get Away With Murder won over fans, especially after the powerful scene featuring her character Annalise taking off her makeup and wig in the show’s fourth episode.
In a conversation with Academy voters at the For Your Consideration panel last weekend, Davis says she wouldn’t have done the show if she wasn’t able to perform the pivotal scene.
The stunning actress explained to the group of voters her reasoning for taking on the role, which came from a desire to play someone who was not only layered with emotion, but someone she’s never had the opportunity to play.
“When someone is described as sexual and mysterious and complicated and messy, you don’t think of me,” she said on Saturday. “I thought it was a really great opportunity to do something different, to transform into a character that people weren’t used to seeing me in. I wanted a role to reflect the full scope of my talent, and I was tired of being the third girl from the left, feeling like I was jumping up behind Meryl Streep or a Julianne Moore, saying, ‘I’ve been doing this for 12 years, I’m playing a maid, I’ve got two lines.’”
Before taking on the role of the relentless Annalise, Davis says she sat down with the show’s creator Shonda Rhimes and showrunners Betsy Beers and Pete Nowlak to demand that she take her makeup and wig off on camera.
“Before I got the role, I said, ‘Shonda, Pete, Betsy, I’m not gonna do this unless I can take my wig off.’ It’s like Rosalind Russell said, acting is like stripping naked in front of an audience and turning around really slowly. One of the reasons I stopped watching TV was that I didn’t see myself on TV. I’m not just saying as a woman of color or a woman of 49, but just as a person. I see a lot of sexy women who are hard, cold, look like they have windswept hair and lip gloss and light makeup when they say it’s no makeup.”
After studying the character, Davis says she knew Annalise had to be seen as someone other than her fiery persona. Her choice was also spiritual in a way, because she knew the moment was bigger than herself.
“I know it seems like a very simple act at the end of the day — but for me, that simple act really surmounted to something very powerful in the end, because what it was was someone being very, very private in public, which is absolutely the cornerstone of what we do as artists. I didn’t just want to walk in heels like I was a supermodel. Who does that? That was how that scene came about. I didn’t want to wake up in bed thinking that this is how I really look. I wanted to woman up, and I wanted to actor up, too.”
If you’ve never seen Annalise bare it all in the very vulnerable moment, check out the clip above.
SOURCE: Vulture | VIDEO CREDIT: YouTube
Cutie Pie Kids! 21 Celebrity Tots Rocking Their Natural Hair (PHOTOS)
1. LOL! King Cairo looks a little surprised by the camera.Source:Instagram 1 of 17
2. You ain't got love for Blue?Source:INF 2 of 17
3. Tunechi! Neal Carter shows off his dreadlocks while posing with his dad and curly-haired big bro.Source:Instagram 3 of 17
4. The Bash! As if to say "I'm so freakin' awesome."Source:Instagram 4 of 17
5. North West in all of her wild child glory.Source:Instagram 5 of 17
6. Hey Rocket Man, we love your 'fro, dude.Source:Splash 6 of 17
7. Joso, in case you ain't know so!Source:Instagram 7 of 17
8. Cree's buns are super adorable.Source:Instagram 8 of 17
9. Violet Nash asking a friend about his missing locks...Source:Instagram 9 of 17
10. Egypt shows off his wild hair on the beach with his mom, Alicia Keys.Source:Instagram 10 of 17
11. Little Cali's curly bun is everything.Source:Instagram 11 of 17
12. Reggie Bush and his little girl enjoying some time together.Source:Instagram 12 of 17
13. Kenzo Lee Hounsou on his first day of school.Source:Instagram 13 of 17
14. Oh hey Marley!Source:Instagram 14 of 17
15. Say Cheese! Major & Romelo holding down the A.Source:Instagram 15 of 17
16. Little Laiyah is going to kill the modeling game one day.Source:Instagram 16 of 17
17. The beautiful daughters of P. Diddy in all of their braided glory.Source:Instagram 17 of 17