Presidential hopeful and Republican frontrunner Donald Trump released a statement on Monday calling for a “complete” ban on Muslim travel into the United States.
The statement, which Trump posted following a tweet that called out what he believes to be the “extraordinary influx of hatred and danger coming into our country” — states the ban should be in place until “our country’s representatives can figure out what’s going on.”
The proposal, quickly condemned by politicians, does not specify the lengths at which the ban will go. Trump also does not specify a clear reason for the halt on Muslims entering the country, instead citing “Pew Research” that allegedly shows a “great hatred towards Americans by large segments of the Muslim population.”
“Most recently, a poll from the Center for Security Policy released data showing ‘25% of those polled agreed that violence against Americans here in the United States is justified as a part of the global jihad’ and 51% of those polled, ‘agreed that Muslims in America should have the choice of being governed according to Shariah.’” the statement reads.
“Shariah authorizes such atrocities as murder against non-believers who won’t convert, beheadings and more unthinkable acts that pose great harm to Americans, especially women.”
“Without looking at the various polling data, it is obvious to anybody the hatred is beyond comprehension,” Trump continues. “Where this hatred comes from and why we will have to determine. Until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses, our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in Jihad, and have no sense of reason or respect for human life. If I win the election for President, we are going to Make America Great Again.”
Contrary to Trump’s “data” that Americans bear the brunt of attacks by those of Islamic faith, anti-Islam attacks sparked by heightened Islamophobia nearly tripled after the Paris and San Bernardino shootings. In fact, in the weeks following the Paris attacks, the Council on American-Islamic Relations received a number of reports about anti-Muslim attacks that hadn’t been seen since the 9/11 attacks.
And the idea that Islam or overseas terrorism is a bigger threat to the nation is false — 80 percent of terrorist attacks since 9/11 were committed by U.S. citizens.
Trump’s rhetoric, sadly, isn’t his own. In fact, a Pew survey in September 2014 showed that 50 percent of Americans think Islam encourages violence. And with a continued and aggressive agenda to paint Islam as a religion of hate — Trump also proposed a database to track all Muslims in the country — the attacks against Muslims that are not connected to Islamic extremists in any way will continue.
It’s the exact thing President Obama warned against in a Sunday address condemning ISIS and urging American’s to support Muslims.
“ISIL does not speak for Islam. They are thugs, and killers,” Obama said in a Sunday address from the Oval office.
“We cannot turn against one another by letting this fight be defined as a war between America and Islam. That, too, is what groups like ISIL want…Moreover, the vast majority of terrorist victims around the world are Muslim,” he said. “We must enlist Muslim communities as some of our strongest allies, rather than pushing them away through suspicion and hate.”
Looks like Trump missed the message…and the research.
SOURCE: DonaldJTrump.com | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Obama’s Best Instagram Moments During His Last Year As President
1. Two step! President Obama dances with his half-sister Auma Obama and President Kenyatta at a state dinner during his first trip to Kenya.Source:Instagram 1 of 25
2. Seriously, how much more down to earth can Obama and the First Lady get? Here they are rocking their alma mater t-shirts in the White House one morning.Source:Instagram 2 of 25
3. WINNING! The exact moment President Obama heard that the Supreme Court upheld the Affordable Care Act.Source:Instagram 3 of 25
4. Presidential Perfection! The First Family poses on the White House lawn on Easter Day 2015.Source:Instagram 4 of 25
5. Just like us! The president swats a fly in the Oval Office.Source:Instagram 5 of 25
6. Someone needs an umbrella. The president dodges a rainstorm as he addresses supporters in Nashville.Source:Instagram 6 of 25
7. The president does his best “Charlie’s Angels” impression with an ensign at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy commencement in New London, Conn.Source:Instagram 7 of 25
8. Anything you can do, I can do better. President Obama crawls around with Ella Harper Rhodes, daughter of Deputy National Security Advisor Ben Rhodes.Source:Instagram 8 of 25
9. Presidential high fives for all!Source:Instagram 9 of 25
10. Like seriously, who doesn’t like pizza?Source:Instagram 10 of 25
11. Checking Twitter, perhaps? #AskPotusSource:Instagram 11 of 25
12. The real presidential advisors.Source:Instagram 12 of 25
13. Two peas in a pod. The president and Joe Biden always have each other’s backs.Source:Instagram 13 of 25
14. Who’s got the power?! President Obama poses with another ensign at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy commencement.Source:Instagram 14 of 25
15. Who wants to play the president in a game of basketball? Obama talks with students and law enforcement officials at a sit-down discussion at a New Jersey Salvation Army Community Center.Source:Instagram 15 of 25
16. Joking around with “Gronk,” aka New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski.Source:Instagram 16 of 25
17. Family affair! The president, the First Lady, and presidential dogs Bo and Sunny speak to a crowd at this year’s Easter Egg Roll.Source:Instagram 17 of 25
18. Are you covered? Obama puts health first…but doesn’t he always? #ObamacareSource:Instagram 18 of 25
19. Who knew our president was the “baby whisperer?”Source:Instagram 19 of 25
20. It’s never too early (or late) to shoot some hoops in a suit.Source:Instagram 20 of 25
21. Green tie. Must be St. Patrick’s Day.Source:Instagram 21 of 25
22. Who said presidents couldn’t have fun at bars? Obama throws darts at an Atlanta tavern while waiting for his interview with VICE to begin.Source:Instagram 22 of 25
23. Word is, President Obama is an avid tea drinker. Here he is sampling some Ethiopian coffee at the National Palace in Addis Ababa. Talk about authentic!Source:Instagram 23 of 25
24. Boys will be boys.Source:Instagram 24 of 25
25. We imagine Bo is politely asking POTUS to go out for just one more walk. Please??Source:Instagram 25 of 25