Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck spoke out on the tragedy during a press conference, where he stated that the situation could have been avoided if the man had not “forcibly grabbed” the officer’s gun.
He said of the footage from the incident that went viral this weekend:
“This is indicative of a struggle over a weapon,”
“You can hear the young officer who was primarily engaged in the confrontation saying that ‘He has my gun. He has my gun.’ He says it several times, with conviction.”
The Police Chief also revealed that the shooting will be reviewed by the LAPD, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, as well as the civilian police commission.
After investigation, Beck also said that body camera footage will be reviewed and released once it is complete.
This is so scary and so heartbreaking.
Earlier this afternoon, LAPD officers responded to a call about an altercation in downtown L.A. One of the suspects – a homeless man – resisted arrest, however the officers were able to regain control and eventually get him down on the ground.
Soon after, one police officer took it upon himself to shoot the suspect, not once, but five times. According to reports, he died. It was all caught on video that you can watch by clicking here.
1. Kobe Bryant and most of his Los Angeles Lakers teammates rocked "I Can't Breathe" t-shirts during pre-game warmups before taking a win against the Sacramento Kings.
1 of 10
2. Brooklyn Nets players Kevin Garnett, Deron Williams, Jarrett Jack, Alan Anderson, and Cavaliers guard Kyrie Irving were spotted with "I Can't Breathe" t-shirts during a Monday night game in Brooklyn. Here, they pose with rapper Jay Z.
2 of 10
3. Cleveland Browns cornerback Johnson Bademosi rocks an “I Can’t Breathe” shirt during warm-ups before a Sunday game.
3 of 10
4. St. Louis Rams players Jared Cook and wide receivers Stedman Bailey, Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, and Kenny Britt take part in the silent demonstration with their "Hands Up!" on the field to protest police violence.
4 of 10
5. Cleveland Cavalier LeBron James wears an "I can't breathe" tee in honor of Eric Garner, a 43-year-old grandfather choked to death by an NYPD officer.
5 of 10
6. Soccer player Anthony Ujah showed his support for Eric Garner after scoring a goal.
6 of 10
7. Cleveland Cavalier LeBron James wears an "I can't breathe" tee in honor of Eric Garner, a 43-year-old grandfather choked to death by an NYPD officer.
7 of 10
8. Detroit Lions' Reggie Bush decided to wear a warm-up shirt with the phrase “I can’t breathe” scrawled over the front as a way to protest the death of Eric Garner and challenge police violence nationwide.
8 of 10
9. During the warm-up session for the Chicago vs. Golden State game, Chicago Bulls superstar Derrick Rose was seen rocking a t-shirt that read “I Can’t Breathe,” in honor of Eric Garner.
9 of 10
10. St. Louis Rams offensive lineman Davin Joseph wrote Garner’s last words on his cleats ahead of a game against the Washington Redskins.
10 of 10
Continue reading Meanwhile, In Police Brutality: LAPD Shoots Homeless Man In Downtown L.A.
"I Can't Breathe!" Sports Players Who Stand In Solidarity With Eric Garner, Mike Brown Protesters (PHOTOS)