The 22nd Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards took place on Saturday and the night proved to be a big one for diversity, Spotlight, and Idris Elba.
Most of the awards won by people of color were for television performances, but Idris Elba shined bright throughout the evening. Although the actor didn’t receive an Oscar nod this year, he won the supporting actor prize for his role in the Netflix film “Beasts of No Nation” at the SAG Awards.
He also took home the award for male actor in a TV movie or miniseries for Luther. While accepting his award, he told the crowd, “Welcome to diverse TV.”
The journalism drama “Spotlight” won big at the awards as well. The film took the top prize, the movie ensemble award. Michael Keaton accepted the award, saying “This is for every Flint, Michigan, in the world. This is for the powerless. It comes down to two things. There’s fair and unfair. And I’m always going to vote for fair. I’m always going to vote for the good guys.”
The big talk about the award show is the much needed inclusiveness and contrast between the Oscars, which have been under fire for weeks for not nominating a single person of color for the second year in a row.
In addition to Elba, other winners included Queen Latifah for playing blues singer Bessie Smith in HBO’s “Bessie,” Viola Davis for her lead turn on ABC’s “How to Get Away With Murder” and “Orange Is the New Black” actress Uzo Aduba. When accepting the award for Best TV Comedy Series, Orange Is the New Black star Laura Prepon proclaimed, “This is what we talk about when we talk about diversity. Different race, color, creed, sexual orientation.”
Viola Davis told the LA Times, “They won because the actors have craft, they have a level of excellence that reaches people and we’re actors too. We’re artists, too, we deserve to be a part of it and I think you saw that tonight.”
Leonardo DiCaprio was also a big winner on Saturday, winning his first-ever Screen Actors Guild award for his role in the Revenant. “I’m truly humbled by this because it comes from all of you, my fellow actors. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.”
Check out a red carpet recap below and the full list of SAG Award winners here.
RED CARPET RECAP: 2016 Screen Actors Guild Awards
1. Queen LatifahSource:Getty 1 of 16
2. Leonardo DiCaprioSource:Getty 2 of 16
3. Viola DavisSource:Getty 3 of 16
4. Cast of "Straight Outta Compton"Source:Getty 4 of 16
5. Idris Elba and his daughterSource:Getty 5 of 16
6. Laverne CoxSource:Getty 6 of 16
7. Sofia Vergara and husband Joe ManganielloSource:Getty 7 of 16
8. Julianne MooreSource:Getty 8 of 16
9. Priyanka ChopraSource:Getty 9 of 16
10. Anna FarisSource:Getty 10 of 16
11. Uzo AdubaSource:Getty 11 of 16
12. Eva LongoriaSource:Getty 12 of 16
13. Rachel McAdamsSource:Getty 13 of 16
14. Kristen WiigSource:Getty 14 of 16
15. Tina Fey and Kristen WiigSource:Getty 15 of 16
16. Tina FeySource:Getty 16 of 16