The shootings of Alton Sterling, Philando Castile, and so many other Black men, women, and children at the hands of police aren’t just isolated incidents that live on the news and in hashtags. They’re the worst-case scenario of a fear Black folks feel every time they walk out the door.
In the aftermath of the back-to-back tragic murders of these two young Black men, we went around New York and New Jersey to ask people how they’re feeling about the incidents, and their own thoughts and experiences in dealing with the police. The comments range from not wanting to give a cop “any reason to pull out his gun,” to questioning the role Black people play in the way their communities are policed.
One young man shares an all-too-familiar story about being roughed up by a cop in his college dorm, while his White roommate was left alone. SMH.
Watch above, and share your own experiences in the comments.
Celebrities React To Dallas Police Deaths
21 photos Launch gallery
1. Kim Kardashian penned a heartfelt letter
1 of 21
2. John Legend was one of the first celebrities to respond on social media.
2 of 21
3. Fabolous wants his fellow celebs to stand up!
3 of 21
4. LeBron James wants everyone to stop the violence.
4 of 21
5. Kevin Hart challenged his celeb friends to help make a change
5 of 21
6. Halle Berry shared a photo of her son, saying, "What will my brown son's future be? What will your brown son's future be? The uncertainty is real. I beg you not to be a bystander in this life, but to go out and find ways to make peaceful change. Our boys need us so rather than launching into deep sentiment here on this platform, I promise to find ways to get involved and help."
6 of 21
7. Danielle Brooks wants to know: What's going on?
7 of 21
8. Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda sent a strong message.
8 of 21
9. Diddy revealed that he has something huge planned
9 of 21
10. Erykah Badu spoke out on the wrongly accused shooter.
10 of 21
11. Amber Rose shared an adorable photo of her son Sebastian, saying, "I woke up this morning to my beautiful son with such a heavy heart. I grabbed my baby and kissed him, hugged him, told him how beautiful his skin and hair is and let him know that one day he will be able to change the world and I will love him and accept him no matter what."
11 of 21
12. Ashanti spoke out on freedom.
12 of 21
13. Boris Kodjoe wants the answers.
13 of 21
14. Trey Songz ranted.
14 of 21
15. Usher has a question for the people.
15 of 21
16. Ms. Tina Knowles shared a pic of herself watching CNN, writing, "Oh my God ! This is horrible !! Please pray for the fallen officers, and the injured ones and their families. The violence has got to stop. Love not hate is the answer. No one has the right to take another persons life ! Not to take our black men's lives and not police officers either. "
16 of 21
17. Tyrese vented.
17 of 21
18. Nick Cannon addressed the former Congressman that threatened President Obama
18 of 21
19. Demi Lovato tweeted about her home town.
19 of 21
20. Kris Jenner reposted Beyonce's post
20 of 21
21. Lala Anthony shared her thoughts.
21 of 21