Fans of the popular energy drink Monster may not want to take another sip, after it was revealed that a 14-year-old girl died from drinking two cans of the beverage.
Anais Fournier died on December 23, 2011 from a heart attack brought on by 'caffeine toxicity' after drinking two 24-ounce Monster cans within 24 hours. Now the Food and Drug Administration announced they are going to investigate her death, including five other deaths associated with the drink.
According to the Record Herald:
The FDA reported people had adverse reactions after they consumed Monster Energy Drink, which comes in 24-ounce cans and contain 240 milligrams of caffeine - or seven times the amount of the caffeine in a 12-ounce cola.
The wrongful death suit, filed in California Superior Court in Riverside, said that after drinking two 24-ounce cans of Monster Energy on consecutive days, Anais went into cardiac arrest.
An autopsy revealed the teenager, from Hagerstown, Maryland, died of cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity that impeded her heart's ability to pump blood.
Monster Beverage Corp said it does not believe its drinks are 'in any way responsible' for any of the deaths.
In a statement, the company said:
“Monster is unaware of any fatality anywhere that has been caused by its drinks.”
Monster's shares plunged $7.59, or 14.2 percent, to close at $45.73 in trading on Monday.
SOURCE: Record Herald