To be "Catfish'd" or not to be. That is still the burning question.
The unknown remains: was Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o "Catfish'd" or was he involved in the elaborate "girlfriend" hoax that threw us all into an emotional tizzy?
No one seems to know the real answer, and we here at GlobalGrind are a little torn when it comes to Te'o's honesty. Some think he was a real "Catfish" victim and others think he lied about the whole thing to play on our emotions and get us involved in his football career. And then...then there are those who think he made up an alternate life because he is gay and trying to hide it.
But conspiracy theories aside, there are still so many unanswered questions about the case that we thought we'd pose them to Te'o. I mean, since he wants to come kinda, maybe, sorta, not really clean to Katie Couric, maybe he can give us a little insight so we can settle the GlobalGrind debate once and for all.
1. In the year that you were in this online relationship, why didn't you see Lennay Kekua?
Don't worry, take your time to think of an answer. We'll wait.
2. When you found out she was sick and dying, why didn't you rush to her side?
If Te'o loved her so much, wouldn't he want to be there for her during her time of need?
3. Speaking of being there for your girl, why didn't you try to go to her funeral?
Seems a little odd that the love of your life would pass away tragically and you wouldn't attend her funeral or send the family some flowers.
4. Why would your father, Brian Te'o, tell the South Bend Tribune (a month after her "death") that you and Lennay had been to Hawaii several times?
Lying to your parents because you are embarrassed that you are in a strictly online relationship is plausible, but several times to Hawaii? Couldn't you have kept it local?
5. Wait. We got ahead of ourselves. How could someone you only know online be the "love of your life?"
Yep, that's what you told ESPN's Gene Wojciechowski. Don't worry...take your time. We'll wait again.
6. Since you now know Lennay doesn't exist, who was the girl you were boo-loving with on the phone at night? Furthermore, who the hell did Reagan Maui'a, a fullback for the Arizona Cardinals, meet when he said he actually met the Lennay?
We know who was impersonating Lennay Kekua on the internet, but who was the girl's voice on the other end of the phone?
7. Did you maybe create this elaborate hoax of having a girlfriend because you're gay and scared of the consequences in football?
If so, please just be comfortable being yourself.
8. Do you feel sad that the death of a fake girlfriend overshadowed your grandmother's passing?
Both are very unfortunate situations, but the media ran with Kekua's story. The media should take into account that even if he is lying, he still lost someone near and dear to him.
9. Why the hell aren't you suing Ronaiah Tuiasosopo?? Or tackling that ass (sike, we don't condone violence).
Somebody needs a stern talking to for trying to ruin peoples lives...that is, if Manti wasn't involved.
10. This is probably inappropriate...but, uh...did you really go this whole time without kissing or having sex with this girl you loved so much?
We might be out of line with this one, playing into the sports players stereotype that they get a lot of women (or have a lot of sex). But hey, inquiring minds want to know.
Maybe if Te'o can answer some of these questions, we can figure out if he was actually duped and naive, or in on the entire scheme. Only time, and answers, will tell!