Edward Archbold, 32, died Friday night after consuming "dozens of roaches and worms" during a contest held by a pet store.
Yes, you read that right.
Archbold took part in a bug-eating contest and a few hours later, he died at a local hospital.
According to the Smoking Gun:
Archbold collapsed after winning the repulsive contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store. Archbold, who was competing for a free python, was stricken outside the Deerfield Beach business, according to the Broward County Sheriff's Office.
Investigators reported that Archbold "wasn’t feeling well and began to regurgitate" shortly after the contest's conclusion. "He had consumed dozens of roaches and worms," a sheriff’s spokesman noted.
Archbold was pronounced dead after being transported to an area hospital. An autopsy was conducted, and the Broward County medical examiner is awaiting test results to determined Archbold's cause of death.
The roach-eating contest was part of the reptile store's October 5 "Midnight Madness" sale. Contestants had four minutes to devour the most discoid roaches, which can grow up to three inches long. "Oh yeah, any vomiting is an automatic DQ," the store cautioned in a Facebook post prior to the revolting competition.
Showing a little remorse, the pet store said in a Facebook update yesterday that-
"Although we just met Eddie the night of the sale, we all liked him right away. All of us here at Ben Siegel Reptiles are sad that we will not get to know Eddie better, for in the short time we knew him, he was very well liked by all."
Asked about the python won by Archbold, the store reported on its Facebook page:
"The snake is being held in his name and is full property of his estate."