Gaby Scanlon, 18, from Lancashire, UK, had to have her stomach removed after she consumed a dangerous concoction laced with nitrogen while celebrating her birthday in a wine bar.
According to The Guardian, Gaby was taken to the hospital at 11pm on Thursday, where she was diagnosed with a perforated stomach. Surgeons operated immediately to save her life.
As reported by the Guardian:
Lancashire police said: "Medical opinion is that this would have proved fatal had the operation not been carried out urgently." She is now in a serious but stable condition in the Lancaster Royal Infirmary.
An investigation is taking place into the circumstances of how she was given the drink. Once added to alcohol, liquid nitrogen makes the drink appear surrounded by a cloud of white or grey vapour.
Doctors at Lancaster Royal Infirmary said their only option was to operate immediately and remove her stomach.
In a statement, Oscar's wine bar said it was "tremendously concerned" about Gaby and sent its best wishes to her family.
Nitrogen boils at -196C, and has become common as a method for flash freezing food or drinks and creating a dramatic vapor cloud. It is stored and transported in vacuum flasks. It can cause severe internal damage if ingested improperly.
What a way to celebrate a birthday!
SOURCE: The Guardian