Manti Te'o, one of the best defenders in this season in college football has finally defended himself and says there was no way he was part of a hoax involving a deceased girlfriend.
In an ESPN interview Friday night, the Honolulu baller he told Jeremy Schaap in an off-camera interview:
"I wasn't faking it, I wasn't part of this."
He also says:
"When (people) hear the facts, they'll know. They'll know that there is no way that I could be part of this."
According to Huffington Post:
Te'o's denial echoes the statement he initially released to ESPN in the aftermath of the Deadspin report, when he claimed to be "the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies." After that initial statement, Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick unequivocally backed Te'o during a press conference that same evening.
Apparently Manti is so shaken by what has happened he claims he can never trust people again and is telling close friends he was so badly scarred by the Internet hoax.
According to TMZ Manti is telling his friends he was not only a victimized in this by the person behind the fake girlfriend, he lost his real girlfriend as a result of the ordeal.
The site reports:
But when Manti realized on December 6 he'd been played -- and he believes by Ronaiah Tuiasosopo -- he became a different person. Our sources say Manti became "freaked out, angry, upset and withdrawn," and Alexandra couldn't handle it. And we're told ... Alexandra was dealing with a lot, because Manti let her in on his secret that he had been scammed.
Reportedly Te'o real life boo, Alexandra pulled the plug on the relationship just before the story broke wide and the 21 year old harbors no hard feelings and is sorry the relationship crumbled.
Well... hopefully Manti can trust again some day.
SOURCE: Huffington Post