Leave a comment

Police still have no motive as to why 43-year-old One L. Goh walked into Oakland’s Oikos University and went on a rampage that left seven people dead and three people wounded.

STORY: Oh No! Oakland Shooting Leaves Seven Dead

Within one hour on Monday, police said, Goh, a former student at the Christian University, left seven people dead and three people wounded. Some students were trapped in the building, forcing them to flee for their lives.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

According to police Chief Howard Jordan, It was an “extremely chaotic scene.” 

Goh reportedly told students as he stood up in the middle of a nursing lecture: “Get in line and I’m going to kill you all.” He then started calmly spraying bullets randomly at his classmates, it was revealed last night. 

After the shooting, officers said Goh apparently drove about three miles from campus before surrendering to officers inside a Safeway supermarket.

“It’s going to take us a few days to put the pieces together,” Jordan said. 

Although Jordan said Goh may have been angry after he was dismissed from school,

“We’ve learned that the suspect was upset with the administration at the school,” Jordan said today on “Good Morning America.”

“He was also upset that students in the past, when he attended the school, mistreated him, disrespected him, and things of that nature. He was having, we believe, some behavioral problems at the school and was asked to leave several months ago.

“We’ve learned that this was a very chaotic, calculated and determined gentleman that came there with a very specific intent to kill people, and that’s what his motive was and that’s what he carried out,” Jordan added.

According to the Associated Press, school officials and students described Goh as a former nursing student who was a South Korean national.

Police first received a 911 call at 10:33 a.m. reporting a woman on the ground bleeding. As more calls came in from the school, the first arriving officer found a victim suffering from a life-threatening gunshot wound.

More officers arrived and formed a perimeter around the school on the belief that the suspect was still inside, he said.

“Potential victims remained inside the building either trapped by a locked door which officers were unable to open,” Jordan said. Others were unable to flee because they were injured, he said.

Jordan said there were about 35 people in or near the building when gunfire broke out. Of the seven fatalities, five died at the scene and another two at the hospital. The wounded victims are in stable condition, and at least one person has been released from the hospital.

Tashi Wangchuk, whose wife attended the school and witnessed the shooting, said he was told by police that Goh first shot a woman at the front desk, then continued shooting randomly in classrooms.

According to Wangchuk Goh, “banged on the door several times and started shooting outside and left.”

Wangchuk said no one was hurt inside his wife’s classroom, but that the Goh shot out the glass in the door. He said she did not know the man.

Television footage showed bloodied victims on stretchers being loaded into ambulances. Several bodies covered in sheets were laid out on a patch of grass at the school. One body could be seen being loaded into a van.

Pastor Jong Kim, who founded the school about 10 years ago, told the newspaper that he did not know if the shooter was expelled or dropped out. Kim said he heard about 30 rapid-fire gunshots in the building.

“I stayed in my office,” he said.

After the shooting, Goh fled from the school in a Honda Accord that belonged to one of the victims and drove to a local Safeway supermarket where he confessed to the shooting to a security guard.

A security guard at the supermarket approached Goh because he was acting suspiciously, KGO-TV reported. Goh told the guard that he needed to talk to police because he shot people, and the guard called authorities.

“He didn’t look like he had a sign of relief on him. He didn’t look like he had much of any emotion on his face,” said Lisa Resler, who was buying fruit at Safeway with her 4-year-old daughter when she saw the man.

Goh also called his father soon after the shooting and told him what happened, the police chief said. The father also called authorities.

Goh has been detained and charges have not been filed as of yet.

comments – Add Yours