So this happened.
Lorreta Luff, of Langhorne, Pennsylvania, was enjoying a quiet game of Spider Solitaire on Sunday when the battery from her Dell laptop blew up and started a small fire in her home.
Luff suffered second and third degree burns to her feet, lips and hands.
“It blew up,” Luff told CBS Philly. “It flipped my computer back and the battery pack and all came out this way. The next thing I knew, my shirt was on fire, I grabbed that and took that off and I think that’s when I singed my hair.”
Frank Farry, chief of the Langhorne-Middletown fire department and having served over 20 years in the field, was shocked at the damage the battery did to Luff and her home.
“I’ve been a voluntary fire fighter for almost 25 years now and i’ve never seen an exploding laptop before,” he said. “I’ve never seen anything like that.”
Luff says she has the laptop for about six years, which is longer than most functional laptops. She also says that she’s changed the battery in the past three years but isn’t sure if she bought the replacement battery from Dell.
The company issued a statement about the accident and made it clear that third party batteries can cause several incidents similar to Luff’s.
“Dell places the highest priority on the evaluation and investigation of all safety and potential safety issues for the products that we and our suppliers produce.” the statement reads. “When Dell becomes aware of an incident, we handle it with the goals of assuring customer safety and a thorough failure analysis. Dell will take appropriate steps to investigate this incident. It’s also important to note that, in our product documentation, Dell tells customers that “using an incompatible battery or a third-party battery may increase the risk of fire or explosion and that they should replace the battery only with a battery purchased from Dell that is designed to work with their Dell computer.”
Luff says she hesitant to buy a new laptop, but is happy that she and her husband are safe.
SOURCE: Business Insider | VIDEO CREDIT: News Inc.