Marvel has put a spin on the old classic character Moon Boy from the comic Devil and the Dinosaur with the reinvention of Moon Girl — Marvel’s newest Black female lead.
The stellar character, also known as Lunella Lafayette, totes around a unique strand of DNA in New York City and has superpowers like no other. Her magic has replaced the original 1978 comic with flair and an anticipated cultural impact.
Axel Alonso, Marvel Editor-In-Chief, told Huffington Post:
“The Marvel Universe is at its best when it reflects the world outside your window — and that world looks different in 2015 than it did in 1963.”
Moon Girl mirrors the many Black young women of America who are in need of more diverse and positive representation in all areas of media and entertainment. The image of Marvel’s new character has the potential to add new dimensions to the impact of popular culture on Black women.
Since its beginning in 1963, Marvel has taken steps to diversify its characters. Just recently, actor Michael B. Jordan played the Human Torch in Fantastic Four.
“The Marvel Universe fan base has never been more diverse than it is now. And it’s going to get more and more diverse in coming years,” Alonso told HuffPo.
The birth of Moon Girl and the Devil Dinosaur is an exciting event that has allowed Black girl magic to shine – yet again.
SOURCE: Huffington Post | PHOTO CREDIT: Twitter
25 Women That Capture The True Meaning Of Black Beauty
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Even when Ciara is on chill mode, she oozes gorgeous glamour.
1 of 25
2. The lovely Amandla Stenberg is the definition of pure exquisiteness.
2 of 25
3. Niecy Nash resonates with beauty in a red dress.
3 of 25
4. Just like we will love you when you're at your Beyonce.
4 of 25
5. We will love you when you're at your Michelle Williams.
5 of 25
6. Nia Long has a beautiful smile.
6 of 25
7. The gorgeous Meagan Good in a sexy black dress.
7 of 25
8. Ava DuVernay is classy.
8 of 25
9. Natural beauty Viola Davis flashes a great smile.
9 of 25
10. Misty Copeland shines in white.
10 of 25
11. Zoe Kravitz's braids give her a look of Black excellence.
11 of 25
12. Rihanna's beauty is always money.
12 of 25
13. Sherri Shepherd blooms in stripes.
13 of 25
14. Gabby Douglas the the champion of good looks.
14 of 25
15. Purple hair and all, Justine Skye is our favorite.
15 of 25
16. Zendaya just smells like grace, class, and everything that's right in the world.
16 of 25
17. Jada Pinkett is proof that Black don't crack.
17 of 25
18. Jurnee Smollett been fire since "Eve's Bayou."
18 of 25
19. Phylicia Rashad still got it, after all these years.
19 of 25
20. Serena Williams is strong.
20 of 25
21. When it comes to beauty, we are with Kiersey Clemons. F It!
21 of 25
22. We love Whoopi.
22 of 25
23. Natural charm and elegance comes easy for Jill Scott.
23 of 25
24. Erykah Badu has a great face.
24 of 25
25. Deelishis is delicious.
25 of 25