A day after Bill Cosby was arrested on charges of aggravated indecent assault, the 78-year-old broke his silence, tweeting a message of thanks to his 4.1 million Twitter followers.
“Friends and fans, Thank you,” the message read.
Cosby, who was arraigned the day before on charges stemming from a 2004 incident, was released on $1 million bail after a short court appearance. He is expected back in court for a hearing Jan. 14.
Former Temple University employee Andrea Constand says the iconic comedian drugged and assaulted her more than 11 years ago. Cosby’s lawyer, who called the charges “unjustified,” told ABC News he vows to fight to clear the entertainer’s name.
“The charge by the Montgomery County District Attorney’s office came as no surprise, filed 12 years after the alleged incident and coming on the heels of a hotly contested election for this county’s DA during which this case was made the focal point,” said attorney Monique Pressley. “Make no mistake, we intend to mount a vigorous defense against this unjustified charge and we expect that Mr. Cosby will be exonerated by a court of law.”
Constand said in 2005 that after she and Cosby became friends he invited her to his home in Pennsylvania, where he made multiple sexual advances over time. She said that on one occasion in 2004, he gave her pills and wine, which made her unresponsive and unable to move, allegedly enabling him to sexually assault her.
Cosby and Constand eventually settled out of court for an undisclosed amount, but the district attorney in Montgomery County at the time decided not to press criminal charges. The settlement did not include an admission of guilt.
The new second-degree felony charges came after U.S. District Judge Eduardo Robreno unsealed Cosby’s deposition, revealing his admission that he gave the drug Quaaludes to women he intended to have sex with, ABC News reports.
Constand is one of 50 women who have come forward accusing Cosby of sexual misconduct.
SOURCE: ABC News | VIDEO SOURCE: Inform | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Twitter
2015 Memorable Instagram Moments
21 photos Launch gallery
1. Taylor Swift and Kanye West's relationship has been a rocky one. But after the 2015 VMAs, he sent her 'the coolest flowers," which became the singer's most liked IG photo.
1 of 21
2. Kylie Jenner's graduation party was kind of a big deal on social media. The photo received over 2.3 million likes.
2 of 21
3. In a flashback post, Beyonce shared an outtake from her 2013 Vogue shoot. She deemed Blue the "real cover girl" and the photo received over 2.3 million likes.
3 of 21
4. Kim Kardashian let her haters have it in this naked selfie.
4 of 21
5. Any time Taylor Swift posts a photo with her cats, it's bound to get millions of likes. This one received over 2.3 million.
5 of 21
6. This one of Meredith got 2.4 million likes.
6 of 21
7. And her waking up like this got her 2.2 million likes.
7 of 21
8. Selena Gomez gave major face in her "favorite shirt" and got over 2.2 million likes.
8 of 21
9. Every photo of North West on IG is adorable, but this one melted our hearts. It received just over 1.7 million likes.
9 of 21
10. The Drake takeover was real in 2015. The rapper even showed off his new body this year. Yummy.
10 of 21
11. Nicki Minaj shut down the 'Gram with this photo of her and Beyonce behind the scenes of their video for "Feeling Myself."
11 of 21
12. Chris Brown became a dad this year and named his album after his daughter. #Royalty
12 of 21
13. Ciara rounded up the girls for her Halloween party and social media went crazy.
13 of 21
14. Fetty Wap surpassed his biggest dreams this year. And we're sure this wasn't even one of them.
14 of 21
15. Bey and Blue wished everyone a bee-autiful Valentine's Day.
15 of 21
16. Amber Rose proved that she and Wiz are still ballin' in this lovely pic.
16 of 21
17. She even coined the term "Milf'n" this year.
17 of 21
18. Kylie turned 18 this year and her then-secret boyfriend Tyga wished her a happy birthday with this racy pic.
18 of 21
19. Zendaya's thoughtful IG response to Giuliana Rancic showed us that her clapback game was classy, yet real.
19 of 21
20. Jay Z joined and quit Instagram in less than 24 hours. Classic.
20 of 21
21. Caitlyn Jenner joined Instagram.
21 of 21