She recalled seeing Simpson fans standing at the side of the road cheering during the infamous white Bronco police chase. “I thought, ‘Oh my god, this is not good. … He has murdered two innocent people, slaughtered them, and you’re cheering his escape?’ It gave me a full view of what we were up against.”
She added: “I had so many days going to the office feeling like, ‘We’re toast; it’s over,’ because I remember watching the jury every single day” and not getting a good feeling from her observations. “Throughout the trial, it felt like one minefield after another. Every day we’d walk into court, and something else was blowing up.”
Clark was referring to a series of setbacks experienced by the prosecution, from the decision to have Simpson try on the leather glove that didn’t fit to former LAPD detective Mark Fuhrman’s decision to invoke his Fifth Amendment right when asked if he planted evidence after tapes surfaced in which he repeatedly used the n-word. She also noted that her closing argument “wasn’t my best.”
Marcia admits she was tired after the eight-month trial.
“I was tired; I was demoralized,” Clark said of the eight-month trial. “By the time I actually got to talk to the jury, [it felt like] ‘Are you hearing anything? I don’t now.’ It just didn’t feel like anybody cared.”
The not-guilty verdict, she said, was “physically painful. That was not justice.” She ultimately blames herself but said: “The problem was the jury didn’t want to believe, and so at the end of day, you can’t make someone believe something they don’t want to believe.”
For her part, Jenner told Dateline that Brown, who had allegedly been physically abused by Simpson for some time, “couldn’t live with him and she couldn’t live without him,” even though she frequently worried about his fidelity.
Click here for more tidbits from the tragic day that left two innocent people dead in cold blood. One juror even admits that though he didn’t think O.J. was innocent, the prosecution did not fully prove his guilt.
1. O.J. seen talking to his lawyers Robert Shapiro, Johnnie Cochran, and Robert Kardashian during a trial date.
1 of 40
2. The late Robert Kardashian defends his friend O.J. Simpson in court.
2 of 40
3. O.J. Simpson and his ex-wife Nicole Brown in seemingly happier times.
3 of 40
4. AI Cowlings, the friend who drove O.J. during his infamous Bronco chase.
4 of 40
5. Judge Lance Ito listens to defense motions to exclude Mark Fuhrman's testimony and the prosecutions' response to retain the information 11 September during a court hearing in the O.J. Simpson murder trail.
5 of 40
6. O.J. x Johnnie Cochran.
6 of 40
7. Kato Kaelin, O.J. Simpson's tenant gives testimony of events leading up to the murder of Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman.
7 of 40
8. when O.J. and Nicole said
8 of 40
9. Deputy District Attorney Chris Darden asks Judge Lance Ito in the O.J.Simpson case 13 January to bar the defense from asking Los Angeles Police detective Mark Fuhrman if he ever uttered a racial epithet.
9 of 40
10. Did O.J. do it?
10 of 40
11. O.J. and Nicole
11 of 40
12. The scene around O.J.'s October 3rd trial date.
12 of 40
13. O.J.'s sister spotted near the crime scene.
13 of 40
14. The infamous Bronco chase.
14 of 40
15. The crowd cheers after hearing the verdict on October 3rd, 1995.
15 of 40
16. A much earlier photo of O.J. and his good friend AI Cowlings, circa 1979.
16 of 40
17. O.J. tries on a glove that was used in the murder of his ex-wife.
17 of 40
18. "If the gloves don't fit, you must acquit."
18 of 40
19. O.J. Simpson and his ex-wife Nicole Brown in seemingly happier times.
19 of 40
20. Deputy district attorney Marcia Clark is shown during testimony at the preliminary hearings.
20 of 40
21. Marcia Clark
21 of 40
22. Johnnie Cochran, Marcia Clark and Chris Darden
22 of 40
23. O.J. Simpson and his kids at Nicole Simpson's funeral.
23 of 40
24. Robert Shapiro reads O.J.'s damning letter to the press.
24 of 40
25. O.J.'s "Dream Team"
25 of 40
26. O.J. Simpson with Nicole and the kids during happier times.
26 of 40
27. Johnnie Cochran lays down the law, circa 1995.
27 of 40
28. Not Guilty.
28 of 40
29. The Juice at his 1994-1995 murder trial.
29 of 40
30. Robert Kardashian sits through trial.
30 of 40
31. O.J. heading to court in his civil trial for the deaths of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman.
31 of 40
32. Bruce and Kris Jenner attend the trial.
32 of 40
33. Robert Shapiro x O.J. Simpson.
33 of 40
34. O.J. Simpson and Nicole Brown with their children Sydney and Justin.
34 of 40
35. Robert Shapiro in 2015.
35 of 40
36. Marcia Clark then and now.
36 of 40
37. O.J. Simpson leaving the courthouse after the civil trial that followed his murder trial.
37 of 40
38. O.J. heads to the place he knows best, court.
38 of 40
39. O.J. at an evidentiary hearing in 2013.
39 of 40
40. O.J. at an evidentiary hearing in 2013.
40 of 40
Continue reading Marcia Clark Recalls O.J. Simpson Acquittal: It Was “Physically Painful…”
40 Photos Of O.J. Simpson & The Key Players In His Murder Trial