A Houston, Tex. student kept his years-long promise to his grandparents by gifting them with a $15,000 check and a trip to the Bahamas.
Stefun Darts, 24, presented a $15,000 check to Marilyn and Cecil Roberts last week, as well as endless praise for the hard work and love he’s received from them his whole life. On March 20, the San Jacinto College student posted a photo of a large replica of the check he presented to his family and the story of how it all came together, PEOPLE reports.
When Darts was just a kid, he promised his grandparents he would help pay off their mortgage after watching them hold down multiple jobs to make ends meet. The college student managed to sustain a full-time job and stayed away from typical social gatherings to keep his promise. Instead of going to parties and eating out, he stayed home with dinners made up of microwave pizza.
In addition to his generous gift, he also gave them tickets for a vacation in the Bahamas.
“While many teenagers are partying and having fun I had to sacrifice, and finally this Sunday on March 20th, 2016 at 4:00 p.m.,” Darts told PEOPLE in a statement. “I will experience tears of joy by handing them a check paying off their house so they can retire from work.”
According to KHOU, the family said if Darts didn’t present them with the surprising check, they wouldn’t be able to pay off their home until 2020. Darts’ mother, Stephanie Wyatt, said her son always showed kindness and generosity to other people. Currently, he is running a small non-profit called “Caring Heart Youth Foundation,” a mentorship program designed to inspire the youth and future leaders of tomorrow.
Learn more about his non-profit here.
SOURCE: PEOPLE | PHOTO CREDIT: Facebook, Getty, Twitter
President Obama's Historic Trip To Cuba In Photos
1. President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama attend a state dinner in CubaSource:Getty 1 of 11
2. President Castro with first lady Michelle Obama and President Barack ObamaSource:Getty 2 of 11
3. President Obama And President Castro Talk At An Exhibition Baseball GameSource:Getty 3 of 11
4. The First Family Arrives In CubaSource:Getty 4 of 11
5. First Lady Michelle Obama and President Barack Obama Arrive In Cuba On Air Force OneSource:Getty 5 of 11
6. The First Family Deplanes In CubaSource:Getty 6 of 11
7. Obama Arrives In Old Havana In The RainSource:Getty 7 of 11
8. Cuba Prepares For President Barack Obama's ArrivalSource:Getty 8 of 11
9. President Barack Obama Greets The Press In CubaSource:Getty 9 of 11
10. President Barack Obama Greets The Press In CubaSource:Getty 10 of 11
11. Cuban President Barack Obama SupporterSource:Getty 11 of 11
Houston College Student Keeps Second Grade Promise, Pays Off Grandparents’ Mortgage was originally published on newsone.com