The 71st annual Golden Globe Awards was the most tweeted about event of 2014 so far.
Honoring great people in film, viewers tuned in to see if their favorite actors and films took home any awards. But to many viewers’ surprise (or not), the six Black actors/actresses that were nominated for awards, including
, Kerry Washington and Idris Elba , all went home empty-handed. Don Cheadle
Although , its two breakout stars, 12 Years A Slave took home the award for Best Picture and Lupita Nyong’o seemed to go unrecognized. Chiwetel Ejiofor,
Throughout award show history, there’s been speculation that Black actors and films are intentionally overlooked. Whether the statements are true or not, there are some African Americans who’ve surpassed the notion.
Check out our gallery of 15 Black actors and actresses who’ve won Golden Globes.
PHOTO CREDIT: Wenn
15 Black Actors & Actresses Who've Won Golden Globes (PHOTOS)
15 photos Launch gallery
1. Angela Bassett won Best Actress for her portrayal of Tina Turner in the film "What's Love Got To Do With It."
1 of 15
2. Sidney Poitier became the first American American to win a Golden Globe. He won Best Actor for his role in "Lillies Of The Field."
2 of 15
3. Denzel Washington took home the Golden Globe for Best Actor for his role in "The Hurricane" and for Best Supporting Actor for his part in "Glory."
3 of 15
4. Whoopi Goldberg took home an award twice! One for Best Supporting Actress for her role in "Ghost," and another for Best Actress for her iconic role in "The Color Purple."
4 of 15
5. Jamie Foxx won Best Actor for portraying Ray Charles in the film "Ray."
5 of 15
6. Forest Whitaker won Best Actor for "The Last King Of Scotland."
6 of 15
7. Jennifer Hudson won the award for Best Supporting Actress for playing Effie White in "Dreamgirls."
7 of 15
8. Diana Ross won the Golden Globe for Most Promising Newcomer in 1973.
8 of 15
9. Eddie Murphy took home the award for Best Supporting Actor for his role as Jimmy Early in "Dreamgirls."
9 of 15
10. Comedienne Mo'Nique won Best Supporting Actress for her role in "Precious."
10 of 15
11. Octavia Spencer took home the award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in "The Help."
11 of 15
12. Stevie Wonder took home the award for Best Original Song for his ballad "I Just Called To Say I Love You."
12 of 15
13. James Earl Jones won the award for Most Promising Male Newcomer back in 1971.
13 of 15
14. Morgan Freeman won Best Actor for his role in "Driving Miss Daisy."
14 of 15
15. Lou Gosset Jr. won Best Supporting Actor in the film "An Officer & A Gentleman."
15 of 15