UPDATE: 3/11/15 5:40 P.M.
Police Chief Thomas Jackson will officially step down from the position effective March 19. Jackson sent in his resignation email this afternoon, stating that the town of Ferguson didn’t need any more distractions.
“I believe this is the appropriate thing to do at this time,” Jackson said during an interview with the St. Louis Dispatch. “This city needs to move forward without any distractions. It is with profound sadness that I am announcing I am stepping down from my position as chief of police for the city of Ferguson Missouri. It has been an honor and a privilege to serve this great city and to serve with all of you. I will continue to assist the city in anyway I can in my capacity as private citizen.”
While the city argued the resignation would be effective immediately, both parties settled on the March 19 date. Lt. Col. Al Eickhoff has been confirmed as the interim chief; the search for a permanent replacement is underway. This marks the latest string of firings and resignations following the DOJ report on the city’s racist management.
Municipal Judge Ronald Brockmeyer resigned Monday and City Manager John Shaw resigned Tuesday, along with two officers. The city’s top court clerk was also fired.
SOURCE: St. Louis Today
Police Chief Thomas Jackson, who took over the Ferguson, Mo. Police Department five years ago, has resigned following the U.S. Department of Justice’s scathing report regarding his handling of the force, including raising revenue by imposing heavy fees on Black residents, according to the AP.
The AP reports:
A city official with knowledge of the situation said Thomas Jackson submitted his resignation letter but the date it will be effective was still being worked out. The official was not authorized to speak about the matter and asked not to be identified.
Jackson had previously resisted calls by protesters and some of Missouri’s top elected leaders to step down over his handling of the August shooting of Michael Brown and the weeks of sometimes-violent protests that followed.
Several text and phone messages left with Mayor James Knowles III and Jackson were not returned. Jackson, 57, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he felt it was time for the city to move on.
“I believe this is the appropriate thing to do at this time,” Jackson said. “This city needs to move forward without any distractions.”
Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.
SOURCE: AP | VIDEO SOURCE: NDN