A protest in the Bay Area – held not only to celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. but also to seek justice for Mario Woods, a man shot and killed by San Francisco Police officers last month – included protesters shutting down highway lanes near the SF Bay Bridge. The demonstrators halted all traffic, resulting in the arrest of 25 people for unlawful assembly, affecting the traffic flow, and bothering the public. The group, named the Anti Police-Terror Project, called for the resignation of San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr, Oakland Police Chief Sean Whent, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, and the officers involved in Woods’ killing. “Over the last year, in the Bay Area alone, there have been dozens of police murders. In San Francisco, we have most recently seen the brutal execution of Mario Woods, in addition to police beating a disabled man in front of the Twitter building and racist text messages exchanged between SFPD on-duty officers,” the group posted on Facebook. Read more.
N.W.A to Possibly Reunite at Coachella
The rap collective N.W.A has always been recognized as legends in hip-hop, but the movie Straight Outta Compton made the group relevant again for today’s generation. Ice Cube recently shared that he wants the band to reunite for a performance at Coachella this year. During a sit-down on The Talk, Cube said he’s “going to try to bring the members of N.W.A together” and “give everybody a little history lesson on Ice Cube and N.W.A [and] Westside Connection.” Since member Eazy-E has died, there are talks that the group may use a hologram on stage. He said their performance will feature “great visuals.” Read more.
Tracy Morgan and Jordan Peele to Team Up for New Comedy Pilot
Comedians Tracy Morgan and Jordan Peele will join forces for a new project. The two are teaming up to create and star in a comedy pilot for FX Networks. The show will chronicle the life of an ex-con who was behind bars for 15 years as he tries to adjust to life after prison. “What an unbeatable combination – Tracy Morgan and Jordan Peele – two exceptional comics joining forces with a great team of writers and producers to create and produce this pilot for FX Networks,” said Nick Grad, President, Original Programming, FX Networks. “We’ve been committed to Tracy from the start and are thrilled that Jordan, John, Eric and Joel are joining him in developing this new project.” Peele and Morgan will executive produce the project along with John Carcieri, Eric Tannenbaum and Joel Zadak. Production is slated to begin this summer. Read more.
VIDEO SOURCE: Inform
21 Of President Barack Obama's Best Photos Of 2015
1. JANUARY: President Obama delivers the State of the Union address with the support of vice president Joe Biden. Obama gained mass support after his joke about winning both terms.Source:Getty 1 of 10
2. APRIL: President Obama arrives in Jamaica to meet with the 15-member Caribbean Community. His trip marked a first for the sitting president and second since the country's independence.Source:Getty 2 of 10
3. JUNE: President Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel are seen talking during the president's trip to the G7Summit in Bavaria, Germany.Source:Getty 3 of 10
4. JUNE: President Obama sings "Amazing Grace" during the eulogy for South Carolina state senator and Rev. Clementa Pinckney during Pinckney's funeral service. Clementa was one of the nine victims who died after suspected shooter Dylann Roof entered the AME church and opened fire.Source:Getty 4 of 10
5. SEPTEMBER: President Obama is featured on the popular show "Running Wild With Bear Grylls." Obama took the trip to highlight the importance of climate control.Source:Getty 5 of 10
6. SEPTEMBER: The First Couple serve as "love goals" at the White House's state dinner for Chinese President Xi Jinping and his wife Madame Peng Liyuan. Obama and Xi announced an agreement on controlling climate change and a mutual outlook on cyber security.Source:Getty 6 of 10
7. OCTOBER: President Obama meets with Ahmed Mohamed, the student who was detained by Texas police for his homemade clock. The president stood by the teen, who many believe was the victim of Islamophobia.Source:Getty 7 of 10
8. NOVEMBER: President Obama issues a warning to his critics who "pop off" at his policies towards Syrian refugees. Speaking at the OP 21 United Nations conference on climate change, Obama welcomed his Republican critics to the White House to lay down their own policies. No one has responded.Source:Getty 8 of 10
9. DECEMBER: President Obama addresses the public from the Oval Office regarding the San Bernardino shooting.Source:Getty 9 of 10
10. DECEMBER: All grown up! The First Family, including Obama's mother-in-law Marian Robinson, is seen at the White House's national Christmas tree lighting ceremony on Dec. 2.Source:Getty 10 of 10
NEWS ROUNDUP: MLK Day Protest Ends In 25 Arrests…AND MORE was originally published on newsone.com