The FBI on Thursday arrested 46 current and former Georgia correction officers in a statewide drug trafficking operation, reports CNN. The arrests came after a two-year federal investigation.
United States Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia John Horn announced details of the arrests and the FBI’s raids at the nine prisons where the trafficking took place.
The indictments revealed “staggering corruption within Georgia Department of Corrections institutions,” said John Horn, the United States Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia.
Among those arrested were five members of an elite squad aimed at busting up drug dealing in prison, called the Cobra unit. Also rounded up in the bust were two civilians and one inmate.
The probe found that prison guards and staff were smuggling contraband such as liquor, tobacco and cell phones into the cell blocks for money. Inmates used the illegal cell phones to commit wire fraud, money laundering and identity theft.
Local television news outlet WMAZ states that 49 individuals were arrested and were scheduled to appear before a judge early Thursday. Horn used stern words for the suspects at news conference, calling their actions “troubling.”
“They not only betrayed the institutions that they were sworn to protect, but they betrayed the trust and faith of thousands of honest corrections officers who upload the values of their jobs every day,” said Horn.
Top 11 Political Moments Of 2015
1. Loretta Lynch Confirmed As U.S. Attorney GeneralSource:Getty 1 of 11
2. Supreme Court Legalizes Same-Sex MarriageSource:Getty 2 of 11
3. Confederate Flag Removed From South Carolina StatehouseSource:Thinkstock 3 of 11
4. Hillary Clinton Announces Second Presidential BidSource:Getty 4 of 11
5. President Barack Obama Defends Black Lives MatterSource:Getty 5 of 11
6. President Obama Visits PrisonSource:Getty 6 of 11
7. U.S. and Cuba Restore Diplomatic Relations.Source:Getty 7 of 11
8. DOJ Announces Probe Of Chicago PoliceSource:Getty 8 of 11
9. President Barack Obama Sings "Amazing Grace"Source:Getty 9 of 11
10. Vice President Joe Biden Almost Ran for PresidentSource:Getty 10 of 11
11. Bernie Sanders Sick of Clinton's EmailsSource:Getty 11 of 11
FBI Arrests 46 Georgia Corrections Officers In Drug Trafficking Probe was originally published on newsone.com