Mitt Romney called Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump a phony and urged voters to look beneath the surface during a speech at the University of Utah on Thursday.
Instead, the 2012 Republican presidential nominee and venture capitalist encouraged the electorate to consider any of the party’s other candidates, including Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, and Ohio Gov. John Kasich.
Romney also warned that Trump’s tariffs would provoke a trade war and kill export jobs. He also raised questions about his tax plan, saying it would increase the deficit and national debt. Additionally, he said bombshell information lurks within his tax returns, which Trump has yet to release.
“But wait, you say, isn’t he a huge business success that knows what he’s talking about? No, he isn’t. His bankruptcies have crushed small businesses and the men and women who worked for them. He inherited his business, he didn’t create it,” Romney said.
“And what ever happened to Trump Airlines? How about Trump University? And then there’s Trump Magazine and Trump Vodka and Trump Steaks, and Trump Mortgage? A business genius he is not.”
As expected, Trump struck back at Romney in interviews before the address.
“Mitt Romney is a stiff,” Trump said on NBC’s Today Show. “He got killed, he got decimated in the election.”
Click here to read Romney’s entire speech.
Do you think Romney can stop Trump? Let us know in the comments.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty | VIDEO CREDIT: Inform
21 Of President Barack Obama's Best Photos Of 2015
1. JANUARY: President Obama delivers the State of the Union address with the support of vice president Joe Biden. Obama gained mass support after his joke about winning both terms.Source:Getty 1 of 10
2. APRIL: President Obama arrives in Jamaica to meet with the 15-member Caribbean Community. His trip marked a first for the sitting president and second since the country's independence.Source:Getty 2 of 10
3. JUNE: President Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel are seen talking during the president's trip to the G7Summit in Bavaria, Germany.Source:Getty 3 of 10
4. JUNE: President Obama sings "Amazing Grace" during the eulogy for South Carolina state senator and Rev. Clementa Pinckney during Pinckney's funeral service. Clementa was one of the nine victims who died after suspected shooter Dylann Roof entered the AME church and opened fire.Source:Getty 4 of 10
5. SEPTEMBER: President Obama is featured on the popular show "Running Wild With Bear Grylls." Obama took the trip to highlight the importance of climate control.Source:Getty 5 of 10
6. SEPTEMBER: The First Couple serve as "love goals" at the White House's state dinner for Chinese President Xi Jinping and his wife Madame Peng Liyuan. Obama and Xi announced an agreement on controlling climate change and a mutual outlook on cyber security.Source:Getty 6 of 10
7. OCTOBER: President Obama meets with Ahmed Mohamed, the student who was detained by Texas police for his homemade clock. The president stood by the teen, who many believe was the victim of Islamophobia.Source:Getty 7 of 10
8. NOVEMBER: President Obama issues a warning to his critics who "pop off" at his policies towards Syrian refugees. Speaking at the OP 21 United Nations conference on climate change, Obama welcomed his Republican critics to the White House to lay down their own policies. No one has responded.Source:Getty 8 of 10
9. DECEMBER: President Obama addresses the public from the Oval Office regarding the San Bernardino shooting.Source:Getty 9 of 10
10. DECEMBER: All grown up! The First Family, including Obama's mother-in-law Marian Robinson, is seen at the White House's national Christmas tree lighting ceremony on Dec. 2.Source:Getty 10 of 10
“A Business Genius He Is Not,” Mitt Romney Slams Donald Trump During Address was originally published on newsone.com