Marcia, who was going through a custody battle with her ex-husband while working 70 hours a week and taking care of her children, was disheveled and visibly bothered by the boys club she was forced to fight every time she stepped into court.
When she called detective Mark Fuhrman (Steven Pasquale) to the stand, defense attorney F. Lee Bailey (Nathan Lane) questioned him about his past use of the n-word, repeating the racial slur over and over again, as was done in real life.
Now, star Cuba Gooding Jr. (who plays Mr. Simpson) is defending the series’ repeated use of the word. Cuba tells PEOPLE:
“Absolutely I think it’s important,” Gooding, 48, tells PEOPLE of viewers hearing the n-word. “Our job as artists is to reflect the ills of society sometimes and to find a truth in that, and I think you can’t start the healing process until you recognize the truth and all of its ugly warts and all.”
The site continues:
The star adds that next week’s episode, which covers the infamous “Fuhrman tapes” was “the most upsetting” for him to film.
“That one’s brutal,” he says.
Leave your thoughts below and tune into the FX series every Tuesday at 10 p.m.
1. O.J. seen talking to his lawyers Robert Shapiro, Johnnie Cochran, and Robert Kardashian during a trial date.
1 of 40
2. The late Robert Kardashian defends his friend O.J. Simpson in court.
2 of 40
3. O.J. Simpson and his ex-wife Nicole Brown in seemingly happier times.
3 of 40
4. AI Cowlings, the friend who drove O.J. during his infamous Bronco chase.
4 of 40
5. Judge Lance Ito listens to defense motions to exclude Mark Fuhrman's testimony and the prosecutions' response to retain the information 11 September during a court hearing in the O.J. Simpson murder trail.
5 of 40
6. O.J. x Johnnie Cochran.
6 of 40
7. Kato Kaelin, O.J. Simpson's tenant gives testimony of events leading up to the murder of Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman.
7 of 40
8. when O.J. and Nicole said
8 of 40
9. Deputy District Attorney Chris Darden asks Judge Lance Ito in the O.J.Simpson case 13 January to bar the defense from asking Los Angeles Police detective Mark Fuhrman if he ever uttered a racial epithet.
9 of 40
10. Did O.J. do it?
10 of 40
11. O.J. and Nicole
11 of 40
12. The scene around O.J.'s October 3rd trial date.
12 of 40
13. O.J.'s sister spotted near the crime scene.
13 of 40
14. The infamous Bronco chase.
14 of 40
15. The crowd cheers after hearing the verdict on October 3rd, 1995.
15 of 40
16. A much earlier photo of O.J. and his good friend AI Cowlings, circa 1979.
16 of 40
17. O.J. tries on a glove that was used in the murder of his ex-wife.
17 of 40
18. "If the gloves don't fit, you must acquit."
18 of 40
19. O.J. Simpson and his ex-wife Nicole Brown in seemingly happier times.
19 of 40
20. Deputy district attorney Marcia Clark is shown during testimony at the preliminary hearings.
20 of 40
21. Marcia Clark
21 of 40
22. Johnnie Cochran, Marcia Clark and Chris Darden
22 of 40
23. O.J. Simpson and his kids at Nicole Simpson's funeral.
23 of 40
24. Robert Shapiro reads O.J.'s damning letter to the press.
24 of 40
25. O.J.'s "Dream Team"
25 of 40
26. O.J. Simpson with Nicole and the kids during happier times.
26 of 40
27. Johnnie Cochran lays down the law, circa 1995.
27 of 40
28. Not Guilty.
28 of 40
29. The Juice at his 1994-1995 murder trial.
29 of 40
30. Robert Kardashian sits through trial.
30 of 40
31. O.J. heading to court in his civil trial for the deaths of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman.
31 of 40
32. Bruce and Kris Jenner attend the trial.
32 of 40
33. Robert Shapiro x O.J. Simpson.
33 of 40
34. O.J. Simpson and Nicole Brown with their children Sydney and Justin.
34 of 40
35. Robert Shapiro in 2015.
35 of 40
36. Marcia Clark then and now.
36 of 40
37. O.J. Simpson leaving the courthouse after the civil trial that followed his murder trial.
37 of 40
38. O.J. heads to the place he knows best, court.
38 of 40
39. O.J. at an evidentiary hearing in 2013.
39 of 40
40. O.J. at an evidentiary hearing in 2013.
40 of 40
Continue reading Cuba Gooding Jr. Defends Repeated Use Of N-Word In “The People V. O.J. Simpson”
40 Photos Of O.J. Simpson & The Key Players In His Murder Trial