Jeter may have just landed his strongest contributor to date: President Obama. Rather than interview Obama with questions, Jeter decided to have a candid conversation with him instead:
“Earlier this month, I had the incredible opportunity to sit down for a conversation with President Obama at the White House in the Roosevelt Room. This isn’t an interview, and it’s not about politics. I simply wanted to share our perspectives on a few things that are meaningful to both of us,” Jeter writes.
The eight-minute conversation covered a few topics, including the mens’ childhoods. Obama reminisces on being a husky kid, a smart aleck, and getting away with his charm instead of doing well in school. His role models growing up included Julius “Dr. J” Irving, Walt Frazier, and even Shaft.
The former Yankees shortstop jokes about Obama’s father, who played college baseball, showing him his newspaper clippings and how he used to wonder if he’d ever have as many as his old man.
Watch the rest of the interview below to find out what advice President Obama and Jeter would give their younger selves.
SOURCE: The Players’ Tribune | VIDEO CREDIT: YouTube | PHOTO CREDIT: Maureen Cavanagh/The Players’ Tribune
34 Photos That Will Make You Miss The Obama Family Already
1. First Family PortraitSource: 1 of 22
2. Two TermsSource: 2 of 22
3. A Family AffairSource: 3 of 22
4. Flashback To The Old DaysSource: 4 of 22
5. Happy Birthday!Source: 5 of 22
6. Candidly AwesomeSource: 6 of 22
7. Historic First FamilySource: 7 of 22
8. TV TimeSource: 8 of 22
9. Always Giving BackSource: 9 of 22
10. Hawaii Trip!Source: 10 of 22
11. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource: 11 of 22
12. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource: 12 of 22
13. Reading TimeSource: 13 of 22
14. Family SupportSource: 14 of 22
15. The Sister SelfieSource: 15 of 22
16. Supporting MomSource: 16 of 22
17. Giving Back On MLK DaySource: 17 of 22
18. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource: 18 of 22
19. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource: 19 of 22
20. Laughs & TurkeysSource: 20 of 22
21. Christmas With The ObamasSource: 21 of 22
22. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource: 22 of 22
President Obama Sits Down With Derek Jeter For Candid Conversation On Retirement, Childhood, & More was originally published on theurbandaily.com