The Daily Grind Video

William Balfour, 30, is sticking to his story, denying any involvement in the killings of actress Jennifer Hudson’s family.

STORY: William Balfour’s Mother Screams At Jennifer Hudson During Murder Trial

According to Wentworth Area Detective Thomas Kelly, who encountered Balfour after the murders:

“We have a little problem, amigo. You didn’t use your bus pass.”

Detectives had caught Balfour in a lie, authorities say, about his movements on the day of the South Side slayings: that he used his CTA card to take a train and bus to his girlfriend’s house on the West Side on the morning of Oct. 24, 2008.

According to the Chicago Tribune:

The dramatic 45-minute video recording of the interrogation was played for jurors Monday as the third week of evidence got under way in Balfour’s murder trial. Judge Charles Burns told jurors to expect to begin deliberations Wednesday after closing arguments.

In the video Kelly confronts Balfour showing him CTA records and other information that didn’t jibe with his story. His knees began to bounce.

He complained of a pain in his side. He grew somber. But he also continued to deny any knowledge of the slayings of Hudson’s mother and brother or of the whereabouts of Hudson’s missing nephew, 7-year-old Julian King saying-

“Oh, here we go with this. I don’t know. … I last saw him a week or two ago.”

“Let me tell you something: If that little boy turns up D-E-A-D somewhere, you’re gonna have a problem,” Kelly retorted as he stood in front of Balfour, jingling the coins in his pocket incessantly.

“What you mean, I’m gonna have a problem?” Balfour asked.

“Just what I said,” said the detective, still rattling his change.

On the video, Balfour admitted that he talked to his estranged wife briefly at the house before she left for work at 8 a.m., then drove to a gas station to buy power steering fluid for his car. He said the fluid was leaking so badly, he had to leave the car parked near Robeson High School.

He said he took a northbound Red Line train at 69th Street shortly before 9 a.m., then took a bus west to girlfriend Shonta Cathey’s house.

When he was arrested about 6 p.m., Balfour had a seven-day CTA fare card and his cellphone on him. Records had also shown Balfour’s phone was still pinging off a tower near the Hudson home long after he said he had boarded the train.

Balfour is accused of killing Hudson’s mother, Darnell Donerson, 57, and brother Jason Hudson, 29, then kidnapping and killing Julian and leaving the boy’s body on the West Side. Prosecutors alleged Balfour was upset that his estranged wife, Hudson’s sister, Julia, was seeing another man.

SOURCE: Chicago Tribune