When it comes to the world of green culture, there are a lot of celebrity advocates. From Russell Simmons spreading the word about the importance of preserving our world, to Jay Z and Beyonce’s vegan lifestyle, lots of A-listers are fighting for a greener world. In honor of Black History Month, Toyota and Global Grind would like to honor black celebrities who have gone green. From their green nurseries to spreading the word about clean water, these celebrities are important in green culture. Find out how you can become part of the green culture with Toyota’s Green Initiative here.
Oprah Winfrey’s is one of the Green communities’ biggest allies. The queen of daytime television has encouraged others to go green with her charitable efforts and her love of organic and recyclable goods.
The actor and rocker has worked with UNICEF in the past to spread the word about the importance of clean water and effective ways to preserve it. The singer has also performed for Gulf-Aid and raised money for wetland recovery efforts in the Gulf of Mexico.
Drake educated his fans during his 2010 tour for his debut album Thank Me Later. The rapper headlined his college tour with a green initiative and educated fans about going green on campus. “Everywhere you turn, you can see how pollution and poverty are hurting our neighborhoods,” he said. “But we can change that. Going green is the solution.”
The Golden Globe nominee and Scandal actress is a strong advocate for green culture. The environmentalist took the vow to go green with eco-designer Danny Seo to create a beautiful green friendly home. The actress wants people to start off small in their green journey, from using totes for grocery shopping to buying eco-friendly light bulbs.
Ms. Badu is fully committed to the green culture. The singer is a proud vegan and teamed up with Kiehl’s in 2013 to promote a special Argon body lotion. The bottles were designed by the singer and were made from recyclable materials.
Wyclef Jean loves to help others in need. The musician is known for his efforts in Haiti, but he also has a green thumb. Wyclef went a creative way in going green by designing eco-friendly boots with Justin Timberlake. Profits from the creative shoes were donated his Yele Haiti foundation.
Common is a smooth wordsmith and an advocate for veganism. After discovering that pork and poultry were harming his body, the rapper decided to go with a vegan lifestyle. Other proud vegetarians include Andre 3000, Angela Bassett, Joy Bryant and Russell Simmons.
Halle Berry is an environmental celebrity with a big heart. The actress supports a green way of life, and has her own organic nurseries. The new mom also makes sure her daughter Nahla wears eco-friendly clothes.
1. Russell Simmons is a proud activist, mogul, yogi and vegan!
1 of 28
2. Tia Mowry tells her haters to "leaf" her alone and let veganism grow on you.
2 of 28
3. Usher makes us sweat as he shows the byproduct of his vegan diet.
3 of 28
4. Pam Anderson showed just how badass she is when she went from a vegetarian to straight up vegan. The actress has worked with Peta for over 14 years.
4 of 28
5. Alanis Morissette is very vocal about her vegan diet.
5 of 28
6. Thom Yorke has been a vegan for many years.
6 of 28
7. Jay Z can blame good friend and fellow vegan Gwenyth Paltrow for his recent 22 day challenge.
7 of 28
8. Anne Hathaway attributes her glow to her vegan lifestyle.
8 of 28
9. Alicia Silverstone eat meat? As If!
9 of 28
10. "Girlfriends" actress Persia White is one hot vegan lady.
10 of 28
11. As if we needed any more reason to love Betty White?
11 of 28
12. Garth Brooks just became a vegan a little over a year ago.
12 of 28
13. Vanessa Williams looks amazing and the perfect role model for the vegan life.
13 of 28
14. Denzel is a vegan for the most part, but occasionally indulges in eating "chicken."
14 of 28
15. Mike Tyson went from fighting in the ring to giving up meat for a healthier lifestyle.
15 of 28
16. Russell Brand has been vegan for quite a while now.
16 of 28
17. Brad Pitt is picture perfect. Oh, and he is a practicing vegan as well.
17 of 28
18. Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine gets down on stage and in the kitchen.
18 of 28
19. Al Gore is not only an environmentalist, but he is also a vegan.
19 of 28
20. We wonder how Olivia Wilde is holding up during her pregnancy as a vegan?
20 of 28
21. Jason Mraz credits his vegan diet to an improvement in his songwriting skills.
21 of 28
22. In 2011, Bill Clinton decided to partake in a plant-based diet in an effort to improve his health.
22 of 28
23. Carrie Underwood told Women's Health magazine, “I am a vegan but I consider myself to be a practical vegan. If I order something on a menu and it has a sprinkling of cheese on top, I’m not going to send it back."
23 of 28
24. Natalie Portman looks amazing as she embraces her vegan diet.
24 of 28
25. Joaquin Phoenix is an actor, rapper and a vegan! Talk about triple-threat.
25 of 28
26. Funny woman Ellen DeGeneres is very serious about her health and her choice of diet.
26 of 28
27. Joan Jett is an animal advocate and vegan.
27 of 28
28. 30 Seconds to Mars frontman Jared Leto has been a vegan for many years.
28 of 28
Continue reading GREEN LIKE THAT: 8 Black Celebrities That Went Green (LIST)
29 Surprising Celebrities Who Embrace A Vegan Lifestyle (PHOTOS)