On Thursday, Sandra Bland’s mother, Geneva Reed-Veal, appeared on NewsOne Now for an exclusive interview to discuss the perjury charge filed against Officer Brian Encinia and the Texas Department of Public Safety’s decision to fire the Texas State Trooper.
When asked what she thought about the recent developments involving Encinia, Reed-Veal said, “Where are the real charges?”
“Where are the charges for assault and battery? Where are the charges for the amount of force that was used here … You want me to get excited about a perjury charge when he’s not the only one, I’m sure, that lied here,” Reed-Veal said.
She continued, “If you’re going to indict the gentleman on the perjury charge for what you’re saying he perjured himself — let’s go back and take another few moments and look at that tape and see what other items he should have been indicted for.”
When asked about Encinia’s firing, Reed-Veal told Martin, “The gentleman has been on administrative leave with pay — my daughter is not on administrative leave, she is gone.”
“There should not be the ability to have another family suffer this kind of injustice at this man’s hands,” Reed-Veal said. “I totally believe he should be fired and should not be able to work anywhere else where someone else’s life is put in jeopardy based on his actions.”
Later during their discussion, Reed-Veal told Martin, “My daughter is gone and we have to get justice for her, and this is definitely not it.”
Watch Martin, Reed-Veal, Bland family attorney Cannon Lambert, and the NewsOne Now panel discuss the perjury charge filed against Encinia in the video clip above.
21 Of President Barack Obama's Best Photos Of 2015
1. JANUARY: President Obama delivers the State of the Union address with the support of vice president Joe Biden. Obama gained mass support after his joke about winning both terms.Source:Getty 1 of 10
2. APRIL: President Obama arrives in Jamaica to meet with the 15-member Caribbean Community. His trip marked a first for the sitting president and second since the country's independence.Source:Getty 2 of 10
3. JUNE: President Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel are seen talking during the president's trip to the G7Summit in Bavaria, Germany.Source:Getty 3 of 10
4. JUNE: President Obama sings "Amazing Grace" during the eulogy for South Carolina state senator and Rev. Clementa Pinckney during Pinckney's funeral service. Clementa was one of the nine victims who died after suspected shooter Dylann Roof entered the AME church and opened fire.Source:Getty 4 of 10
5. SEPTEMBER: President Obama is featured on the popular show "Running Wild With Bear Grylls." Obama took the trip to highlight the importance of climate control.Source:Getty 5 of 10
6. SEPTEMBER: The First Couple serve as "love goals" at the White House's state dinner for Chinese President Xi Jinping and his wife Madame Peng Liyuan. Obama and Xi announced an agreement on controlling climate change and a mutual outlook on cyber security.Source:Getty 6 of 10
7. OCTOBER: President Obama meets with Ahmed Mohamed, the student who was detained by Texas police for his homemade clock. The president stood by the teen, who many believe was the victim of Islamophobia.Source:Getty 7 of 10
8. NOVEMBER: President Obama issues a warning to his critics who "pop off" at his policies towards Syrian refugees. Speaking at the OP 21 United Nations conference on climate change, Obama welcomed his Republican critics to the White House to lay down their own policies. No one has responded.Source:Getty 8 of 10
9. DECEMBER: President Obama addresses the public from the Oval Office regarding the San Bernardino shooting.Source:Getty 9 of 10
10. DECEMBER: All grown up! The First Family, including Obama's mother-in-law Marian Robinson, is seen at the White House's national Christmas tree lighting ceremony on Dec. 2.Source:Getty 10 of 10
Sandra Bland’s Mom On Perjury Charge Against Cop: “Where Are The Real Charges?” was originally published on newsone.com