The family of Autumn Johnson is mourning her death after the toddler was fatally shot just a week after her first birthday.
The shooting occurred Tuesday evening when two male gunmen arrived at the home in Compton, Calif., KABC reports:
Deputies said the girl was in a crib inside the home when the suspects opened fire into the garage, which was a converted apartment. Multiple witnesses told ABC7 they heard 10 to 12 shots fired.
One of the bullets struck baby Autumn in the head. A witness called 911 after her father ran out of the garage with the little girl in his arms. Autumn was later pronounced dead at a local hospital.
“It looks like somebody drove up and were shooting into the house at somebody else and the baby caught a stray round,” Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Lt. John Corina said. In a statement released early Wednesday, the sheriff’s department said that the shooting appears to be gang-related.
As the investigation continues, police believe the suspects are two Black males in a dark-colored, four-door sedan.
“It’s wrong whether it’s a baby or a man or anyone,” neighbor and longtime Compton resident Dan Martin said, according to the Post. “We’ve had enough bloodshed around here, don’t you think?”
21 Of President Barack Obama's Best Photos Of 2015
1. JANUARY: President Obama delivers the State of the Union address with the support of vice president Joe Biden. Obama gained mass support after his joke about winning both terms.Source:Getty 1 of 10
2. APRIL: President Obama arrives in Jamaica to meet with the 15-member Caribbean Community. His trip marked a first for the sitting president and second since the country's independence.Source:Getty 2 of 10
3. JUNE: President Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel are seen talking during the president's trip to the G7Summit in Bavaria, Germany.Source:Getty 3 of 10
4. JUNE: President Obama sings "Amazing Grace" during the eulogy for South Carolina state senator and Rev. Clementa Pinckney during Pinckney's funeral service. Clementa was one of the nine victims who died after suspected shooter Dylann Roof entered the AME church and opened fire.Source:Getty 4 of 10
5. SEPTEMBER: President Obama is featured on the popular show "Running Wild With Bear Grylls." Obama took the trip to highlight the importance of climate control.Source:Getty 5 of 10
6. SEPTEMBER: The First Couple serve as "love goals" at the White House's state dinner for Chinese President Xi Jinping and his wife Madame Peng Liyuan. Obama and Xi announced an agreement on controlling climate change and a mutual outlook on cyber security.Source:Getty 6 of 10
7. OCTOBER: President Obama meets with Ahmed Mohamed, the student who was detained by Texas police for his homemade clock. The president stood by the teen, who many believe was the victim of Islamophobia.Source:Getty 7 of 10
8. NOVEMBER: President Obama issues a warning to his critics who "pop off" at his policies towards Syrian refugees. Speaking at the OP 21 United Nations conference on climate change, Obama welcomed his Republican critics to the White House to lay down their own policies. No one has responded.Source:Getty 8 of 10
9. DECEMBER: President Obama addresses the public from the Oval Office regarding the San Bernardino shooting.Source:Getty 9 of 10
10. DECEMBER: All grown up! The First Family, including Obama's mother-in-law Marian Robinson, is seen at the White House's national Christmas tree lighting ceremony on Dec. 2.Source:Getty 10 of 10
Compton Family Mourns After One-Year-Old Baby Is Fatally Shot In Crib was originally published on newsone.com