The shooting death of a beloved high school football player by a Virginia deputy over the weekend has left a town questioning whether police officers used excessive force.
The incident occurred Saturday around 1 p.m. when police responded to a call that Dyzhawn Perkins, 19, was behaving erratically at a local grocery store and later attacked an elderly couple who lived nearby, WTVR reports. When two Buckingham County police officers later found Perkins at a nearby home, he reportedly jumped through a plate-glass window and allegedly attacked one of the officers.
The deputy then fired at the teen. Perkins died at the scene.
Perkins’ family and friends were surprised to hear about his behavior. He was an honor student with a 3.0 GPA and had plans to attend Virginia Union University.
“It’s really sad that this young man is gone, and we’ll never know what his potential will be,” said longtime Buckingham resident Angela Booker. “I feel for the family, I feel for the Sheriff’s department, I feel for the community.”
Perkins’ teammate Cameron Grant told reporters his actions were out of character.
“I got a weird feeling all over and thought that can’t be true,” said Cameron Gent, Perkins’ teammate. “You know every time we go out on that field we say we’re family,” Gent said. “That’s what we are. He’s not like that. That wasn’t him,” Gent said. “Something had to be wrong.”
A specialized unit of Virginia State Police investigators are in the process of reviewing the shooting. A police spokeswoman said there is no timeline on when the VSP investigation will be complete, but a medical examiner’s report will be a key part of that investigation and will include a toxicology report, according to the outlet.
Police have not announced whether Perkins was armed at the time of the incident.
SOURCE: WTVR | VIDEO CREDIT: Inform | PHOTO CREDIT: Twitter
Top 11 Political Moments Of 2015
1. Loretta Lynch Confirmed As U.S. Attorney GeneralSource:Getty 1 of 10
2. Supreme Court Legalizes Same-Sex MarriageSource:Getty 2 of 10
3. Hillary Clinton Announces Second Presidential BidSource:Getty 3 of 10
4. President Barack Obama Defends Black Lives MatterSource:Getty 4 of 10
5. President Obama Visits PrisonSource:Getty 5 of 10
6. U.S. and Cuba Restore Diplomatic Relations.Source:Getty 6 of 10
7. DOJ Announces Probe Of Chicago PoliceSource:Getty 7 of 10
8. President Barack Obama Sings "Amazing Grace"Source:Getty 8 of 10
9. Vice President Joe Biden Almost Ran for PresidentSource:Getty 9 of 10
10. Bernie Sanders Sick of Clinton's EmailsSource:Getty 10 of 10
Virginia Deputy Fatally Shoots High School Football Player In Mysterious Incident was originally published on newsone.com