A disturbing video appearing to show a Baltimore school police officer slapping and kicking a teenager is angering parents and sparking yet another conversation about the behavior of resource officers in schools.
The video, which shows the unidentified officer slapping the teenager twice — loud enough to hear the impact — before kicking the student as they walk down the stairs, has prompted the suspension of both officers involved in the incident, as well as the head of the Baltimore school police force, Marshall Goodwin.
The officer in the video can also be heard shouting profanities at the student.
The altercation, which took place at Reach Partnership School, came to the attention of authorities after the video was sent to CBS Baltimore. Reach, a middle-school/high-school, is one of seven in the city that has a police officer dedicated to the building, CBS reports.
Baltimore isn’t alone — according to the National Center for Education Statistics, at least 43 percent of all U.S. public schools had a dedicated resource officer in the 2013-2014 school year.
“I was totally appalled at what I saw today,” said Karl Perry, chief officer of school supports.
School leaders told CBS Baltimore that the police officer in the video will not be back at school Wednesday. He has been reassigned until the investigation is complete.
“I am a parent and I am totally appalled by what I saw in that video. No matter what the circumstances are, I am totally appalled,” said Perry.
The officers, who are not Baltimore City Police, will remain on administrative leave pending an investigation. The school system did not confirm if the victim was a student, although the student who recorded the incident confirmed with CBS that the teenager does, in fact, attend Reach.
It’s unclear what happened before the encounter took place.
SOURCE: CBS Baltimore | VIDEO SOURCE: Inform
Top 11 Political Moments Of 2015
1. Loretta Lynch Confirmed As U.S. Attorney GeneralSource:Getty 1 of 11
2. Supreme Court Legalizes Same-Sex MarriageSource:Getty 2 of 11
3. Confederate Flag Removed From South Carolina StatehouseSource:Thinkstock 3 of 11
4. Hillary Clinton Announces Second Presidential BidSource:Getty 4 of 11
5. President Barack Obama Defends Black Lives MatterSource:Getty 5 of 11
6. President Obama Visits PrisonSource:Getty 6 of 11
7. U.S. and Cuba Restore Diplomatic Relations.Source:Getty 7 of 11
8. DOJ Announces Probe Of Chicago PoliceSource:Getty 8 of 11
9. President Barack Obama Sings "Amazing Grace"Source:Getty 9 of 11
10. Vice President Joe Biden Almost Ran for PresidentSource:Getty 10 of 11
11. Bernie Sanders Sick of Clinton's EmailsSource:Getty 11 of 11
Baltimore School Officer Caught Slapping Student In Video Placed On Administrative Leave was originally published on newsone.com