Smith, the former New Orleans Saints defensive end, was shot eight times around 11:30 p.m. on April 9. The incident began after a minor fender bender as Smith was leaving a restaurant in New Orleans’ Lower Garden District. Cardell Hayes, the suspected gunman, called police after the shooting occurred and waited for authorities to arrive on scene.
On Thursday, Hayes was indicted on one count of aggravated assault with a handgun and second-degree murder in the shooting death of Smith. Hayes also faces a count of attempt to commit second-degree murder against the football player’s wife, Racquel Smith. Mrs. Smith was in the SUV during the shooting and sustained a non-fatal injury.
From WDSU News:
The indictment came during a probable cause hearing as witnesses, including former Saints player and Smith’s friend Pierre Thomas, were being called by defense attorneys John Fuller and Jay Daniels.
Fuller, not arguing that Hayes killed Smith in the shooting, said his client is legally innocent of murder and criticizes the investigation by the New Orleans Police Department, citing “untoward” activity from a witness. Initially, police reported recovering one gun at the scene on the night of the shooting. Days later, police said two additional guns were recovered — one in Smith’s Mercedes SUV and another in Hayes’ Hummer H2.
As reported by NewsOne, Hayes and Smith share a common connection with a former New Orleans police officer, who was named in a lawsuit filed by Hayes a decade ago. Smith dined with former police officer William Ceravolo at the Sake Cafe in New Orleans before the shooting, but police do not suspect the coincidental link will lead them to a motive.
An investigation continues.
SOURCE: WDSU | VIDEO SOURCE: Inform | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
American Domestic Terrorist Attacks Since 9/11
1. Trump Supporters Attack Congress (2021)Source:Getty 1 of 14
2. Las Vegas Shooter (2017)Source:Getty 2 of 14
3. Virginia Tech Shooting (2007)Source:Getty 3 of 14
4. Pittsburgh Police Shootings (2009)Source:Getty 4 of 14
5. Gabrielle Giffords Shooting (2011)Source:Getty 5 of 14
6. Aurora Movie Theatre Shooting (2012)Source:Getty 6 of 14
7. Wisconsin Sikh Temple Shooting (2012)Source:Getty 7 of 14
8. Blooming Grove Police Shooting (2014)Source:Getty 8 of 14
9. Overland Park Jewish Community Center Shooting (2014)Source:Getty 9 of 14
10. Las Vegas Police Ambush (2014)Source:Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department via Getty Images 10 of 14
11. Umpqua Community College Shooting (2015)Source:Getty 11 of 14
12. Charleston Church Shooting (2015)Source:Getty 12 of 14
13. Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood Shooting (2015)Source:Getty 13 of 14
14. Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting (2012)Source:Getty 14 of 14
Cardell Hayes, Suspect In Fatal Shooting Of Former NFL Star Will Smith, Indicted was originally published on newsone.com