The 2021 AFI Fest’s Closing Night was a star-studded affair, as Will Smith hit the red carpet with his family, Serena and Venus Williams, and the King Richard cast.
The highly anticipated film tells the story of Richard Williams, Venus and Serena’s father and coach. Will Smith stars in the title role, with Demi Singleton and Saniyya Sidney portraying the world-renowned tennis champs. The joy on the red carpet was palpable, and as expected, everyone looked nothing short of amazing.
During a recent appearance on The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon, Will Smith admitted he was terrified of Venus and Serena’s opinions of the film.
“It is terrifying when you play a real person that is still alive and you know that they’re going to see it,” he told the late night host, explaining that although Venus and Serena were excited, the jury was still out on whether or not they would publicly support the movie. Their support depended entirely on whether or not they liked it.
“Venus and Serena cried all the way through. They loved it,” Smith went on, adding “What was really interesting to me is we all feel like we have a picture of Richard Williams and it’s the classic overbearing father, hammering his children… but in sitting with Venus and Serena and their sisters and their mother, it was completely the opposite. He was a loving, caring, doting father. Venus referred to it as ‘the Jedi mind trick’ — that he had somehow made it so they would have to ask him ‘Please daddy can we play tennis?!’ Their punishment would be that they couldn’t play tennis when they got in trouble. He aligned with what they wanted for themselves, more than demanding what he wanted for them.”
Will added that, that was “a real lesson” for him as a parent.
Check out the official trailer and more photos from the premiere below. There were a lot of standout moments, including Will Smith kissing wife Jada Pinkett Smith’s forehead, little Alexis Olympia posing with her parents, and Willow and Jaden Smith showing up and showing out.
King Richard hits theaters this Friday, November 19.
1. Serena Williams did not come to play at the 2021 AFI Fest.Source:Getty
2. Neither did Venus, who mesmerized the crowd with her beauty and braided hairstyle.Source:Getty
3. Little Alexis Olympia stole the show while posing with her parents.Source:Getty
4. Seriously, how cute is she?!Source:Getty
5. Will and Jada looked happy as can be.Source:Getty
6. Will even gave his wife a sweet kiss on the forehead.Source:Getty
7. Dwight Howard and Will Smith chop it up at the ‘King Richard’ premiere.Source:Getty
8. Will, Jada, Jaden, and Willow flick it up as a family.Source:Getty
9. Jada was looking great!Source:Getty
10. Our favorite diva was in attendance. Say hi to Alexis Olympia!Source:Getty
11. All smiles.Source:Getty
12. Willow serving a whole look, effortlessly.Source:Getty
13. Director Reinaldo Marcus Green and Will Smith hug.Source:Getty
14. Dad and baby girl supporting mom.Source:Getty
15. A solo shot of Will.Source:Getty
16. Demi Singleton, who portrays Serena, Serena Williams, Venus Williams and Saniyya Sidney, who portrays Venus.Source:Getty
17. Will spotted speaking with reporters.Source:Getty
18. A shot of our favorite sisters.Source:Getty
19. ‘King Richard’ cast and creatives go in for a photo together.Source:Getty
20. It was all love.Source:Getty
21. And we can’t WAIT to see the film. Congrats to the cast and crew!Source:Getty
Meet The 2023 McDonald's Black & Positively Golden Change Leaders
WTF! Bashid McLean Poses For A Photo With His Mother's Decapitated Head! (PHOTOS)
They're Not Babies Anymore: Our Favorite Celebrity Kids 2023 Prom Photos [Gallery]
22 Memorable Nip Slips & Wardrobe Malfunctions You HAVE To See Now
The 15 Most Sexually Explicit & Down Right Nasty Songs Of All Time (LIST)
Happy Eggplant Friday! Here Are 26 Celebrity D*ck Pics To Start Your Weekend
Celeb Baby Cuteness: Jeezy & Jeannie Mai-Jenkins' Daughter Discovers Her Southern Roots In Adorable Viral Video
20 Of Our Favorite Celebrity Nipples (NSFW PHOTOS)