A Letter To My Father
I’ve been inspired throughout my life by special circumstances and unique experiences. Foremost, I grew up with a family that injected me with unconditional love and enduring confidence. This is my foundation … the family holidays and celebrations with my maternal lineage … supportive smiles in audiences at school programs … guiding hands to complete homework and special projects in the wee hours of the morning.
However, I grew up without my father, an irreplaceable force and influence that was absent in my life. I watched other kids enjoy the embrace of theirs, and I searched for a way to reconcile the meaning of my circumstance.
Despite my pain, I’ve imagined a life as a good son with my father. Baseball … Playing in School Band … Church … All of the things that he would expect his son to do, I’ve done. I’ve stood in front of audiences to receive awards. I heard their applause and praise. But, the accolades have been absent the sound of his clapping hands and encouraging words … his voice that I could distinguish in my sleep. Where has he been?
Now, I reflect on the journey, the pain, the challenges, and the triumphs through this song. I’m reconciled as a man, no longer a boy, in verse. Now, I know that I’m not alone.
Albert Brown, also known as “Al B Sure!” is my biological father, but Sean Combs, also known as “Diddy” has been a father figure in my life for as long as I can remember. Sean Combs is the person whom I look up to and appreciate as a father. He is the one who help mold me into the person I am today and will always try to live up to his expectations. He has always been supportive of me and I will forever love and respect him. As far as my biological father goes, the “spitting image” is all I have taken from him. Throughout my life, I’ve always wondered about him; Where he was? What was he doing? and most importantly, Was he even thinking about me? The absence of my father has given me a better understanding of what type of man I am going to be. I am grateful for my mom’s love, support, guidance, and for her strength.
To those who share my plight, know that you have a great future … a DESTINY. Take the lemons that you are handed and make lemonade. Your journey is in “A Letter To My Father.”
– Quincy “iQ” Brown
exclusive for GlobalGrind.com
Also On Global Grind:
1. Kanye X Adidas. Thank u to Yé for believing in me
2. excited to be apart of CR fashion book issue 6 @crfashionbook @carineroitfeld #crfashionbook
3. Today's vibes
5. Nighty night
6. thank u Phillip Lim. Dope show 😍
7. Last nights look- Calvin Klein top & skirt, Givenchy coat, Manolo heels
8. Hehe my sneak peak vid of my contact look they put on me got bigger than I intended.
11. Last night wearing Alexander Wang head to toe!
12. I never take selfies with the front camera who knew this shit was so good. Lol. Makeup by me duuuuh
13. Turn up.
15. Really though? #SideEye
16. Boobs & Hair
17. Boobs & Hair
18. Ravishing In Red
19. Kim Rockin' The Hell Out Of Her Red
20. these grocery bags match my fly
21. I wore this look the other night on my date night
22. Dress In All White
23. All White Like An Angel
24. Just changed my #KylieHairKouture extensions to my jet black 20" clip ins :)
25. Morning Melbourne
26. Kylizzle X
27. Kim Kizzle