UPDATE: 4:00pm EST
The death toll from the Accent Signage Systems Inc. shooting in Minneapolis has risen to six.
Police Chief Tim Dolan said Friday that the man who shot and killed five others then himself at a business in the Bryn Mawr neighborhood Thursday afternoon apparently spared some employees and had ammunition packaging for 10,000 rounds at his house.
As reported by Startribune:
“It was a case he was terminated that day, he did come back about 4:25 to that location, parked his car and walked in the loading dock area and immediately started shooting people at that location,” Dolan said about Andrew J. Engeldinger, 36, of Minneapolis.
Dolan described it as a “hellish time” and said the weapon was a Glock 9 mm, a semi-automatic handgun.
Later Friday, Engeldinger’s family released a statement saying that Andrew struggled with mental illness for years and had lost contact with the family. “This is not an excuse for his actions, but sadly, may be a partial explanation,” said the statement, which also said their hearts go out to the families of those killed and wounded.
The victims included company owner Reuven Rahamin, 61, and United Parcel Service driver Keith Basinski, 50, of Spring Lake Park. The names of the three other fatalities haven’t been released. Several were injured. Word of the sixth death came from Sgt. Stephen McCarty late Friday afternoon.
Dolan said the building, which housed Accent Signage Systems, was so large and full of materials that it took a long time for tactical officers to sweep the building. They found two people who had been hiding for a long time.
Asked if Engeldinger chose his victims, the chief said: “It’s clear he did walk by some people, he did walk by people to get to certain other members of the business.”
The chief said a search of Engeldinger’s home turned up packaging for 10,000 rounds of ammunition and another gun. Engeldinger got guns a year ago and had been practicing using them, the chief said.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their familes.
Gun violence echoed loud and clear this week, as the founder of a sign-making business was among five people killed in a shooting at his Minneapolis office, the businessman’s son-in-law said Friday.
Reuven Rahamim was shot to death in the Thursday attack at Accent Signage Systems Inc.
In a statement, Chad Blumenfield, an employee at Accent, said:
An “incredibly proud husband, son, father and grandfather, has passed away in a senseless act of violence. Other members of the Accent family tragically lost their lives as well, and we mourn their loss.” He provided no further details.
As reported by the Associated Press:
Police spokesman Sgt. Stephen McCarty said the gunman also injured four people in the attack before apparently shooting himself. Police have not released the shooter’s identity or a motive.
A police summary of the shooting issued early Friday described a chaotic scene, with multiple 911 calls from the business and a caller saying someone had been shot inside. When police arrived, they found four people already dead.
Of the wounded, John Souter’s condition was upgraded from critical to serious as of Friday morning and Eric Rivers remained in critical condition, according to Christine Hill, a spokeswoman for the Hennepin County Medical Center where they were being treated. She had no information on the condition of a third man earlier listed in critical condition.
A fourth person injured has been treated and released, Hill said Friday.
No details were released about the gunman, other than he was found dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
During a news conference Thursday night, Minneapolis Police Deputy Chief Kris Arneson wouldn’t specify how many people had been killed, saying only that “several” victims were found dead inside. She said police never fired at the gunman, but she didn’t release other details – including the gunman’s possible motive or whether he had worked at the company.
According to MyFox9:
Rahamim, the company’s founder, was among those killed in the shooting. Two other company executives — John Souter and Eric Rivers — were in critical condition at Hennepin County Medical Center, where four victims were being treated.
HCMC spokeswoman Christine Hill said Friday that Souter has been upgraded to serious condition, but Rivers, remains critical. A third, unidentified victim remains in critical condition and a fourth person was treated and released.
The house of the suspected gunman was searched, although police said they found nothing.
Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton expressed his condolences to the families and friends of those involved. “I deplore this senseless violence. There is no place for it anywhere in Minnesota,” Dayton said.
Once again, senseless gun violence has claimed the lives of innocent people – and our lawmakers are doing nothing to stop it.