Most of us remember the history-making moment when The Simpsons killed off their first character, Maude Flanders. The poor woman went to get a hot dog for her husband and got hit in the face with some flying t-shirts, subsequently falling to her cartoon death.
Now, the producers of the longest running scripted show in history, The Simpsons, are planning to off another character. Not just any character, but an award-winning character! During a recent conference call, the show’s producer Al Jean dropped the information and even gave a hint, saying:
“I’ll give you a clue that the actor playing the character won an Emmy for playing that character, but I won’t say who it is.”
Pretty much every character on the show has won an Emmy, but through a process of elimination, we think we have a pretty good idea of who is going get the ax!
For the sake of things, we’re going to assume that none of the main characters are in danger. So that excludes Bart, Lisa, Maggie, Marge and Homer. Every other award-winning character is up for grabs.
Here’s who we got…
Krusty The Clown’s father Rabbi Hyman Krustofski, voiced by Jackie Mason, who won an Emmy in 1992. But what fun is this? While it’s possible, we think it’s highly unlikely he’ll get called out of retirement just to get killed off. Makes no sense to us.
Princess Penelope won an Oscar in 2010. The one-off character was played by Anne Hathaway, so we’re sure many people wouldn’t mind seeing a cartoon Hathaway get put out of her misery. But why? This one also seems far-fetched.
Sideshow Bob tried to kill Bart Simpson already, so why not bring him back for one epic battle? The villain won Emmy gold in 2006 for the episode titled “The Italian Bob,” and we wouldn’t mind Kelsey Grammar coming back for a re-do.
Bart’s teacher Edna Krabappel also won gold in 1992. She’s a heavy smoker, somewhat depressed and cranky, so she’s surely a possible candidate to meet her death.
Our boy Hank Azaria won an Emmy for his voice-over work as Apu, but with all of the heat that the Simpsons have been getting lately over racial insensitivity, he ranks high on the list to be killed off. It would be a good way to get out of the fire, right? Hank also won Emmys for Moe, Comic Book Guy and various voices. But Apu got an Emmy all to himself.
So here are my theories for who is going to kick the bucket…
1. During the conference call, Al Jean explained that the season 25 premiere of The Simpsons will be called “Homerland,” a spoof on the hit Showtime drama Homeland. In the episode, Lisa thinks Homer is being used by terrorists for his access to the nuclear codes at the plant he infamously works in.
I think this would be a perfect backstory for Apu’s death. Maybe he’s down with the terrorists or does a brave act to save Springfield from its impending doom and goes out as a hero! That would get the heat off the show for sure.
2. The Return Of Sideshow Bob! Who doesn’t love a good rubber match? Sideshow and Bart went at it before, so why not revisit one of the illest battles in cartoon history? Remember the last time we saw Bob, he was run over by a train at the New York’s Highline when trying to kill Bart while he was talking to a young lady. What if he didn’t die and he comes back to seek revenge? Bart could put him away once and for all.
3. It’s been rumored that the 25th season of the show will be its last. So why not go out with a bang and actually kill off one of the Simpsons? Maybe Homer goes out like Heisenberg and Bart will be Jesse Pinkman.
4. What if Ned Flanders turns into a Dexter-type character and seeks revenge on Homer by killing Marge or the whole family, since Homer is somewhat responsible for Maude’s death? Now that would be a way to end 25 years.
5. Maybe Homer snaps and finally kills Bart. That’s how the show started, why not end with an homage to the skits that used to air on The Tracey Ullman Show?
What’s your take?
SOURCE: The Sun | PHOTO CREDIT: FOX, Simpsons