A businessman suspected of being head of the Boko Haram intelligence network that helped abduct more than 200 schoolgirls from Chibok in April has been arrested by Nigerian troops, according to the military.
Two women were also arrested, one of whom was accused of coordinating payments to other operatives.
According to Reuters:
Defense spokesman Major-General Chris Olukolade said in a statement that the arrested man used his membership of a pro-government vigilante group “as a cover, while remaining an active terrorist.”
Olukolade said the man had coordinated several deadly attacks in Maiduguri since 2011, including on customs and military locations as well as the planting improvised bombs.
A year old intensive military operation against Boko Haram has so far failed to crush the rebels, whose struggle for an Islamic state in largely Muslim northern Nigeria has killed thousands since it was launched in 2009.
On Sunday, the violence continued. The Chibok community was attacked again in three places when militants opened fire on churches and homes, killing dozens and burning houses to the ground.
SOURCE: Reuters | PHOTO CREDIT: Screengrab
Meet The 2023 McDonald's Black and Positively Golden Change Leaders: 10 Young, Black Leaders Who Are Leading The Way to a Better Future
The AT&T Rising Future Makers Showcase Is Now Open: HBCU Students, Enter For A Chance To Win $5,000
WTF! Bashid McLean Poses For A Photo With His Mother's Decapitated Head! (PHOTOS)
GOATED: Happy 42nd Birthday To Serena Williams!
HORRIFIC! Footage Shows Two Girls Brutally Beating 16-Year-Old Before Holding Her Down To Be Raped (GRAPHIC)
22 Memorable Nip Slips & Wardrobe Malfunctions You HAVE To See Now
Happy Eggplant Friday! Here Are 26 Celebrity D*ck Pics To Start Your Weekend
Ken Jeong, aka Mr. Chow, On What It's Like Showing His Small Winkie In "The Hangover 3"