The Daily Grind Video

Police arrested several people late Monday in Ferguson, Mo., handcuffing them on the ground after claiming protesters refused to leave West Florissant Avenue, reports USA Today.

The arrests capped off a second day of unease during protests commemorating the one-year anniversary of Michael Brown‘s death.

At least one officer used pepper spray on the crowd, writes the news outlet.

From USA Today:

Around 10:20 p.m. CT, hundreds of protesters started marching into the street. Immediately, police on a loudspeaker told them to move out of traffic. When they didn’t comply, officers advanced and took several people into custody, handcuffing them on the ground…

Overnight, roughly two dozen arrests were made, county police said. There were no shots fired and no burglaries, looting or property damage during the protests, County police spokesman Shawn McGuire said in a statement. No smoke or tear gas was used, and no injuries to police or civilians were reported.

In the aftermath of violence on Sunday, which marked a year since Brown was shot and killed by Darren Wilson, a White ex-Ferguson police officer, St. Louis County Executive Steve Stenger declared a state of emergency.

On Sunday, St. Louis County Police shot and critically wounded a man who allegedly fired at them following peaceful protests in the embattled community. The victim was identified as Tyrone Harris Jr., 18, of St. Louis. He was charged “with four counts of assault on law enforcement in the first degree, five counts of armed criminal action, and one count of discharging or shooting a firearm at a motor vehicle.” He is being held on $250,000 cash bond, the report says.

Meanwhile, a White militia group known as the Oath Keepers arrived on scene Monday, sparking questions about why police failed to stop the men from openly carrying assault weapons, reports The Independent.

There is no word on when St. Louis authorities will lift the state of emergency.

SOURCE: USA Today, The Independent | PHOTO CREDIT: Twitter | VIDEO CREDIT: NDN

Ferguson Protesters Arrested Overnight On Charges Of Blocking Traffic, White Militia Arrives On Scene  was originally published on