Cuyahoga County prosecutor Timothy J. McGinty issued a stern statement to the NAACP regarding the public release of the grand jury transcripts in the Tamir Rice shooting case. Mr. McGinty stated in his letter to the civil rights organization that the law prevents him from sharing the transcripts but does intend to share any investigative reports.
Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy J. McGinty said Wednesday that Ohio law prevents him from fulfilling a request from the Cleveland branch of the NAACP to release the Tamir Rice grand jury transcripts.
McGinty’s strongly written response came hours after receiving the request from Cleveland NAACP branch president Michael Nelson. McGinty said in his response that Nelson “misunderstands” the grand jury process in the Tamir Rice case, as well as in the additional 19 fatal use-of-force cases McGinty’s office has or will review.
A Cuyahoga County grand jury in late December declined to indict two Cleveland police officers involved in the shooting death of 12-year-old Tamir, prompting the NAACP request.
The letter from McGinty to Nelson can be read in the document below.
SOURCE: Cleveland.com | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Top 11 Political Moments Of 2015
1. Loretta Lynch Confirmed As U.S. Attorney GeneralSource:Getty 1 of 11
2. Supreme Court Legalizes Same-Sex MarriageSource:Getty 2 of 11
3. Confederate Flag Removed From South Carolina StatehouseSource:Thinkstock 3 of 11
4. Hillary Clinton Announces Second Presidential BidSource:Getty 4 of 11
5. President Barack Obama Defends Black Lives MatterSource:Getty 5 of 11
6. President Obama Visits PrisonSource:Getty 6 of 11
7. U.S. and Cuba Restore Diplomatic Relations.Source:Getty 7 of 11
8. DOJ Announces Probe Of Chicago PoliceSource:Getty 8 of 11
9. President Barack Obama Sings "Amazing Grace"Source:Getty 9 of 11
10. Vice President Joe Biden Almost Ran for PresidentSource:Getty 10 of 11
11. Bernie Sanders Sick of Clinton's EmailsSource:Getty 11 of 11
Tamir Rice: Prosecutor Will Not Release Grand Jury Transcripts was originally published on newsone.com