Join us in celebrating Gabrielle Union‘s birthday today!
The gorgeous actress has been a fixture on the big and small screens since the early ’90s. Decades later, at almost 50 years old, Union is going harder than ever. Most recently, she released her second memoir, You Got Anything Stronger, in which she opens up about her career, marriage to Dwyane Wade, motherhood, and more. As always, Union’s candor inspires us to take a deeper look at our own truths.
She’s an inspiration in everyday life, as well. From her style to the way she loves on her daughter Kaavia James and shows her support for other women entertainers, Union is everything we hope we’ll grow up to be. In an interview with Parade last month, the beauty opened up about stumbling upon her “superpower,” as she “unlearned” what she thought she knew about being a woman and mother.
“A Shaman actually led me down that road,” Union said of changing her perspective. “And I was like, OK, this is definitely a little weird for a Catholic girl from Omaha, Nebraska—but I find information and resources and lifelines all over the place, and this was one that really changed the trajectory of my life. It opened up the door to finding peace through the acceptance of being vulnerable. I realized that to embrace the feminine divine, if you will, isn’t to be weak or subservient or somehow innately less-than. It’s to grab onto our power. Vulnerability exists in all of us, and I need to be OK with it and not try to hide it, smother it, snuff it out, but embrace it because our vulnerability is truly our superpower.”
“For me, that was standing in my way to emotional freedom. I still gotta work on the other parts of freedom, but emotionally, [I freed] myself from the trap of not showing weakness by being vulnerable,” she adds.
Here at Global Grind, we’re huge Gabrielle Union fans and we’re riding with her ’til the wheels fall off. Show her some love today, plus more photos that prove she’s the fountain of youth, below.
1. Gabrielle attends ’45 Years of TV guide Covers’ in 1998.Source:Getty
2. Gabby at the ‘Shakespeare in Love’ PremiereSource:Getty
3. Gabrielle Union in the 2000 film ‘Bring It On’Source:Getty
4. Young and gettin’ it!Source:Getty
5. That smile though.Source:Getty
6. That glow though!Source:Getty
7. Gabby at a Barneys N.Y. Gala Dinner in 2006.Source:Getty
8. 2003 Gabby was fine too.Source:Getty
9. Gabby at the 2004 Video Game AwardsSource:Getty
10. Get it, girl.Source:Getty
11. Drop dead gorgeous.Source:Getty
12. 10 years later and ain’t a damn thing change.Source:Getty
13. Front row at Fashion Week back in 2011.Source:Getty
14. Working it.Source:Getty
15. Gabby and Naomi circa 2015.Source:Getty
16. Gabby circa 2016.Source:Getty
17. Gabby flaunts what her mama gave her at the 2017 Vanity Fair Oscar Party.Source:Getty
18. The Gabby we know and love these days!Source:Getty
19. Skin poppin’!
21. So tell us, Gabby, what’s your secret?
22. Happy Birthday, beautiful!
Black History Month 2023: Today's Freedom Fighters
22 Memorable Nip Slips & Wardrobe Malfunctions You HAVE To See Now
20 Of Our Favorite Celebrity Nipples (NSFW PHOTOS)
Happy Eggplant Friday! Here Are 26 Celebrity D*ck Pics To Start Your Weekend
I've Never Had A Twitter Account: Dave Chappelle Recounts His Hilarious "Beef" With Katt Williams
Solange Don't Play Bout Her Big Sis Beyoncé: Check Out This Hilarious Viral Story About The Knowles Family
Ken Jeong, aka Mr. Chow, On What It's Like Showing His Small Winkie In "The Hangover 3"
What's Next For The Black Mafia Family? 'BMF' Season Two Finale Recap